Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP! ISP WARNING

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HELP! ISP WARNING Empty HELP! ISP WARNING

Post by Layloria on Thu 16 Oct 2014, 19:46

Hello,

My ISP have sent me the following. Naturally, I don't know if it is about torrents but it sounds like it and wondering if you guys have alternatives? I use Tor and Bittorent but I don't know which is the issue I assume both or Bittorrent.

Dear _______

Unfortunately we have received a complaint regarding copyrighted material that appears to have been shared from your connection. If you are not sure why this might have been received or would like more information regarding this please raise a query at https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html (click on Customer Services & Billing / Contact the Abuse Team).

We are legally required to advise you that you must take all reasonable precautions to ensure that no one (including you) uses the Service:
(a) fraudulently or in connection with a criminal offence;
(b) to send, knowingly receive, upload, download or use any material which is offensive, abusive, indecent, defamatory, obscene or menacing, or in breach of copyright, confidence, privacy or any other rights.

If you are aware that this is happening on your connection, please ensure you stop the sharing of the offending material.

Even if you are sure that nobody in your household has been sharing any copyrighted material the account holder is responsible for any and all use of the connection. Please ensure that if you use a wireless network that it is fully password protected and as secure as is possible. For more information on securing your networks and computers please see http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/secure_home_network.shtml

Kind Regards,

Plusnet Abuse Team

What can I do?

Thanks,
Layloria

G4TW Partner / Forum V.I.P.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3/4; MySims; Minecraft; Zoo Tycoon 2; GTA V; Skyrim; Sherlock Holmes Series

Female

Back to top Go down

HELP! ISP WARNING Empty Re: HELP! ISP WARNING

Post by Admin on Thu 16 Oct 2014, 20:58

Hi there,

Unfortunately they send these kind of warnings in some countries.
It's most likely caused by downloading/uploaden via P2P (torrents). What can you do? Not much, really. You can use a friend's computer to download stuff, or maybe even a computer café (what are those things called in English? Razz).

But, if you don't mind spending a few bucks, get yourself a (paid) VPN service. VPN services will encrypt all your internet traffic, and therefore making it impossible for your ISP to see what you're downloading. They'll see that you're downloading/uploading stuff, but they can't see what exactly, since it's all encrypted.
When considering a VPN, look for one that actually provides a high level of encryption and covers P2P (Bittorrent) traffic too! Because some don't "hide" your P2P traffic.
A VPN will also hide your real IP, so when you connect to a website, they'll think that you come from somewhere else. Or even another country, depending on which VPN you use. Some VPN providers give you the ability to switch to another VPN (country) whenever you like. So one moment a website will think you're visiting the website from America, and the other moment they'll think that you're visiting from Russia, so to speak.

Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Layloria on Thu 16 Oct 2014, 21:03

Hello,

Would this work or would they still suspect activity? Plus do you know any good Premium VPN software?

P.S They're called Internet Cafes, not much different than computer.

Thanks,
Layloria

P.S.S Should I just move to like Belgium or something?

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3/4; MySims; Minecraft; Zoo Tycoon 2; GTA V; Skyrim; Sherlock Holmes Series

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 16 Oct 2014, 21:44

@Layloria wrote:Hello,

Would this work or would they still suspect activity? Plus do you know any good Premium VPN software?

P.S They're called Internet Cafes, not much different than computer.

Thanks,
Layloria

P.S.S Should I just move to like Belgium or something?

Hello Layloria,

Depending on how "far" that ISP is willing to go, there are still ways to backtrace some of these VPN services. And even if it's a good VPN with high-end encryption it is "theoretically" possible that authorities identify what would be called "patterns of internet usage". So even if the traffic is appearing to come from another country/person/network, it might be possible under certain circumstances to say something like...

Mean ISP wrote:Ah ! Although the IP address of the traffic is different, we're almost sure that must have come from Layloria's connection !!11

A bit of an extreme example, and I don't think this has happened too often in real-life. Btw, DO NOT use any internet services, while using a VPN, that require you to give your name/contact details or any financial information (debit/credit card). Because then it would be easier to conclude that "the internet activity" has come from one and the same person, namely you.

Use these VPNs for everything "illegal" so-to-speak, and for all other "normal" stuff, use your regular connection.

Bottom line: there is never something like 100% safety. But with a really good VPN you at least have a high chance of staying safe. Smile 

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper
Inspector General / Security Attaché
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper Inspector General / Security Attaché

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA V / GTA Online, Red Dead Redemption II / Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Layloria on Fri 17 Oct 2014, 20:07

Hello,

When they said received a complaint do you think that is a company making a complaint or they are assuming? I assume they don't do anything personally but pass the information on?

I'm wondering, my old ISP never did anything about P2P...could it be I was accessing phone app cheats using my regular browser client?

• You surf anonymously and safe with encryption
  • Unlimited switching between servers.
  • Download & Upload as much as you want.
  • Use Either L2TP/IPSec, PPTP or OpenVPN. All internet traffic is encrypted.
  • Works on all systems

These any good? (BlackVPN)

12US, 7UK, 2DE, 6NL, 4CA, 2IE, 4FR, 2CH, 1LU, 1RO, 2RU, 2SE, 2HK, 1ES, 1IT, 1PA, 1AU, 1TR, 1EG, 1FI, 1SG, 1JP, 1NZ, 1PL, 2IN, 1AT, 1CZ, 1HU, 1IS, 1NO, 1BG, 1BE, 1SA 
    ibDNS included 
    Torrent in 6 countries 
    2000+ dynamic IPs
    Or these guiys? (ibVPN)
    Thanks,
    Layloria

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 18 Oct 2014, 01:15

@Layloria wrote:Hello,

When they said received a complaint do you think that is a company making a complaint or they are assuming? I assume they don't do anything personally but pass the information on?

I'm wondering, my old ISP never did anything about P2P...could it be I was accessing phone app cheats using my regular browser client?

• You surf anonymously and safe with encryption
  • Unlimited switching between servers.
  • Download & Upload as much as you want.
  • Use Either L2TP/IPSec, PPTP or OpenVPN. All internet traffic is encrypted.
  • Works on all systems

These any good? (BlackVPN)

12US, 7UK, 2DE, 6NL, 4CA, 2IE, 4FR, 2CH, 1LU, 1RO, 2RU, 2SE, 2HK, 1ES, 1IT, 1PA, 1AU, 1TR, 1EG, 1FI, 1SG, 1JP, 1NZ, 1PL, 2IN, 1AT, 1CZ, 1HU, 1IS, 1NO, 1BG, 1BE, 1SA 
    ibDNS included 
    Torrent in 6 countries 
    2000+ dynamic IPs
    Or these guiys? (ibVPN)
    Thanks,
    Layloria

Most likely, the "copyright owner" - i.e. the company you supposedly pirated stuff from - somehow figured out that a copyright violation was done by a certain IP address (yours in this case), and they contacted your ISP then. Who in turn contacted you. 

It's an "open secret" that some companies actively monitor peer-to-peer traffic, especially when it's about movies or newly released games, but this can happen with everything you pirate from the net.

As for that example VPN you posted, you may want to make sure to - maybe - ask directly if "all internet traffic is encrypted" also includes P2P traffic (just be be sure).
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA V / GTA Online, Red Dead Redemption II / Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Layloria on Sun 19 Oct 2014, 16:19

Hello,

I am thinking about going with iBVPN, they offer a purely Torrent service securing P2P.
What do you think? I also read up and my ISP only care because a company found out and complained.

• Enjoy encrypted P2P filesharing / torrent download.
  • The possibility to download via 9 super fast servers located in Netherlands, Luxembourg Canada, Hong Kong, Russia and Sweden.
  • Enjoy the benefits of a fine quality vpn service: staying in touch with Netherlands, Luxembourg, Canada, Hong Kong, Russia and Sweden.
  • Enter social media sites like Facebook, Youtube, etc.
  • Unblock VOIP Applications (e.g. Skype)
    VPN protocols available: OpenVPN, L2TP, PPTP

??

Thank so much!
    Layloria

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/how-it-works/

EDIT://

I got this one in the end. Whats the best country, I'm using NL at the moment.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 19 Oct 2014, 22:41

@Layloria wrote:
EDIT://

I got this one in the end. Whats the best country, I'm using NL at the moment.

Hello again,

Personally, I would choose either Sweden or Russia, but I guess it doesn't really matter. Razz  But I'm glad you found something that suits your needs ! Welcome "back" to the (free) internet. Very Happy  
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 21:50

Hi there,

Carlos, technically the information you enter is also encrypted, so your ISP will not see what information you provided.
In order to find that information, they need to link the VPN IP to you - VPN IPs usually change all the time, keep that in mind - and then they need to somehow get access to a third party website's database, to figure out what information you entered. Or just force them to hand over the information.
But, in the case of downloading copyrighted stuff, which a lot of people do, I'm pretty sure they'll not take that kind of measures. Razz

I recommend setting your VPN up with OpenVPN and, if you like, let it auto-start when you log into Windows. (You're paying for it, so why not always use it)

Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 22:08

@Admin wrote:Hi there,

Carlos, technically the information you enter is also encrypted, so your ISP will not see what information you provided.
In order to find that information, they need to link the VPN IP to you - VPN IPs usually change all the time, keep that in mind - and then they need to somehow get access to a third party website's database, to figure out what information you entered. Or just force them to hand over the information.
But, in the case of downloading copyrighted stuff, which a lot of people do, I'm pretty sure they'll not take that kind of measures. Razz

I recommend setting your VPN up with OpenVPN and, if you like, let it auto-start when you log into Windows. (You're paying for it, so why not always use it)

I have to admit I'm not too familiar with VPN services, but I guess it depends on how they log the information and any other related laws. If a VPN logs the internet activity, and is forced to hand over those logs, then I might get into trouble. 

But then, if the IPs are dynamic and it's not clearly visible what customer used which IP at a certain time, then I might get away, yes. Very Happy 

I would still use VPNs only for "illegal" stuff, though, just for more safety. Suspect 

//EDIT

I brought this up since I wasn't 100% sure if these VPN providers that "don't log anything" are legal in all countries....
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon 20 Oct 2014, 23:30

That's why you should spend some time in looking for a good VPN service. Of course one that doesn't store logs. (Although a lot of them claim that they don't do that, but how do we know for sure?)
BlackVPN claims that they have an office in Hong-Kong and therefore they can't be forced to hand over any information, unless the Japanese court tells them to do so. (Which is unlikely to happen, in my opinion Razz )

Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 30 Oct 2014, 18:38

@Admin wrote:That's why you should spend some time in looking for a good VPN service. Of course one that doesn't store logs. (Although a lot of them claim that they don't do that, but how do we know for sure?)
BlackVPN claims that they have an office in Hong-Kong and therefore they can't be forced to hand over any information, unless the Japanese court tells them to do so. (Which is unlikely to happen, in my opinion Razz )

Sorry for the late reply, but no, I personally can't be bothered with looking for a good VPN service, Razz  since I got too much other stuff on my mind. Why ? Because where I am (currently) the mentality surrounding piracy is relatively lax, compared to the US, UK and similar countries. Read: over here it's extremely unlikely that you'll get a visit by the police for pirating games, software, music, videos, etc. (though it does happen, occasionally...).

But yes, if you happen to live in a country with strict measures against piracy, a good VPN is a must, of course.

I think that regarding the logs, you will mainly have to rely on third-party sources like reviews or other advice (e.g. google a lot). And then make a wise decision. Or go for Eastern European services Very Happy (they tend not to hand logs to "Western" authorities that easily, lol).
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum