Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virus Recovery Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Virus Recovery Help Empty Virus Recovery Help

Post by Guest on Wed 14 Jan 2015, 02:06

Hello Everyone.
Tabby here. Today was the first time Ive been online ( on my computer) since its been down.
I  had a virus scare ( Trojan Cloud Scanner) and it caused me to reset my computer to factory settings.
Luckily, I already backed my computer but still.
The program that found it was Comodo Firewall. Too many movies and stuffs...lol
Anyways, Are there any programs that you know of that i can download that can help me with my Virus Protection besides Avg or Avast?

Back to top Go down

Virus Recovery Help Empty Re: Virus Recovery Help

Post by Guest on Wed 14 Jan 2015, 07:18

Hey!
I use VIPRE. Basically, it warns you every time something wants to do anything on your computer. You can create rules for stuff you use often.
Otherwise Kaspersky is pretty good too.
If you have Windows 8, Windows Defender is also not bad (included).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect on Wed 14 Jan 2015, 16:32

Shamrock wrote:Hey!
I use VIPRE. Basically, it warns you every time something wants to do anything on your computer. You can create rules for stuff you use often.
Cool! Personally, I like windows defender on my Windows 8.1 (I use Security Essentials since Windows 7 or Vista, can't even remember when I last had an anti virus).

Also, you should grab some anti malware, I like malwarebites one, free. It won't protect you real time after the trial period, but you can run a manual scan once in a while to check your system for infections.

I hope your PC gets well soon! In need to back up some of my stuff, since I sold all my Hard Disks and only have my video and pictures at my external USB HDD, really dangerous!!!

The Sim Architect

www.thesimarchitect.com

The Sims 4 All in One Portable [All Versions Available, Including the Latest, Always HERE]
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:09

Avast Internet Security, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot "Search and Destroy". These 3 together are pretty good for my purposes. 

As with all things, prevention is usually easier than any treatment "after it has happened". If you don't mind answering this, do you have any idea how you may have caught that ? I myself haven't caught a virus in ages... Very Happy  Razz  

Also, try going into "safe mode" with Windows. In that mode, only the most essential Windows services will be loaded (and if you want, the network/internet drivers too, allowing you to go into the internet). In safe mode, run the checks with your anti-virus/anti-malware programs, as that yields somewhat higher chances of success - than in "normal" Windows mode.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper
Inspector General / Security Attaché
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper Inspector General / Security Attaché

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA V / GTA Online, Red Dead Redemption II / Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu 15 Jan 2015, 19:44

Carlos wrote:Also, try going into "safe mode" with Windows. In that mode, only the most essential Windows services will be loaded (and if you want, the network/internet drivers too, allowing you to go into the internet). In safe mode, run the checks with your anti-virus/anti-malware programs, as that yields somewhat higher chances of success - than in "normal" Windows mode.
The best way is to use an anti-virus software boot disc and boot from that disc. That won't start Windows at all, which allows you to scan everything on your hard disk. The scanner will treat your Windows installation (and everything else on your HDD) as "a bunch of files".

This method doesn't allow the virus to become active and mess with the virus scan in any way.

Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 15 Jan 2015, 23:28

@Admin wrote:The best way is to use an anti-virus software boot disc and boot from that disc. That won't start Windows at all, which allows you to scan everything on your hard disk. The scanner will treat your Windows installation (and everything else on your HDD) as "a bunch of files".

This method doesn't allow the virus to become active and mess with the virus scan in any way.

If the disc has the most recent virus signatures, and if there are pirated anti-virus CDs, then yes (I think you can do that via the avast interface too). Smile In fact, that would have to be a very aggressive virus, if it's able to interfere with the scan when Windows starts.

I guess I'm too lazy though for burning anti-virus CDs (at least) once a week, lol.  Sad
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA V / GTA Online, Red Dead Redemption II / Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, Destiny 2.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sim Architect on Thu 15 Jan 2015, 23:30

Carlos wrote:
@Admin wrote:The best way is to use an anti-virus software boot disc and boot from that disc. That won't start Windows at all, which allows you to scan everything on your hard disk. The scanner will treat your Windows installation (and everything else on your HDD) as "a bunch of files".

If the disc has the most recent virus signatures, and if there are pirated anti-virus CDs, then yes (I think you can do that via the avast interface too). Smile In fact, that would have to be a very aggressive virus, if it's able to interfere with the scan when Windows starts.

I guess I'm too lazy though for burning anti-virus CDs (at least) once a week, lol.  Sad
Wow! Do you get viruses this often?? No need to burn a Disk, you can use a USB drive...

The Sim Architect

www.thesimarchitect.com

The Sims 4 All in One Portable [All Versions Available, Including the Latest, Always HERE]
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri 16 Jan 2015, 23:37

Carlos wrote:If the disc has the most recent virus signatures, and if there are pirated anti-virus CDs, then yes (I think you can do that via the avast interface too). Smile In fact, that would have to be a very aggressive virus, if it's able to interfere with the scan when Windows starts.

LOL, of course that's not necessary. They have a built-in signature update function! (So you only burn the disc once and then update via the GUI, before running a scan)

Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 17 Jan 2015, 04:17

@Admin wrote:LOL, of course that's not necessary. They have a built-in signature update function! (So you only burn the disc once and then update via the GUI, before running a scan)

OK, I wasn't aware of that. Smile  
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat 17 Jan 2015, 17:09

But yes, a USB is an alternative, of course. (Never tried that myself though)
I think that a disc is "safer", because the files on it can't be modified after burning. So a virus can't modify anything, for example. (Worst-case scenario, of course)

Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 19 Jan 2015, 03:26

Thank you Shamrock. I've never heard of Vipre..so it must be really good. Underground good. *wink* *wink*
Windows Defender i have but never really used like that. And i intend of using to the fullest extent now that more that one person here has given it the Ok for overall virus protection.

//EDIT

SvenT wrote:
Cool! Personally, I like windows defender on my Windows 8.1 (I use Security Essentials since Windows 7 or Vista, can't even remember when I last had an anti virus).

Also, you should grab some anti malware, I like malwarebites one, free. It won't protect you real time after the trial period, but you can run a manual scan once in a while to check your system for infections.

I hope your PC gets well soon! In need to back up some of my stuff, since I sold all my Hard Disks and only have my video and pictures at my external USB HDD, really dangerous!!!
Thanks.
I actually was using Malware when my computer caught the virus and it was one of the programs to tell me that i had it.
But the virus affected Malwarebytes as well..Irony of it all. After i tried to get rid of the virus, Malware started to act weird and wouldnt update and all kinds of craziness...yay.

//EDIT

Carlos wrote:Avast Internet Security, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot "Search and Destroy". These 3 together are pretty good for my purposes. 

As with all things, prevention is usually easier than any treatment "after it has happened". If you don't mind answering this, do you have any idea how you may have caught that ? I myself haven't caught a virus in ages... Very Happy  Razz  

Also, try going into "safe mode" with Windows. In that mode, only the most essential Windows services will be loaded (and if you want, the network/internet drivers too, allowing you to go into the internet). In safe mode, run the checks with your anti-virus/anti-malware programs, as that yields somewhat higher chances of success - than in "normal" Windows mode.
-.-
Thanks...

Admin edit: Y U NO USE "Multi - Quote" OPTION?! Why God.

- ADMIN

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum