Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? Empty Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends?

Post by Sim Architect on Sat 29 Aug 2015, 07:10

Hi there! Would it be possible to restrict private messages to helpers/mods only or, if it's not possible, friends only?

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? QBa55J8

The only options I saw about it are the ones above, but I guess that, if I restrict members to PM me, I would be blocking you too, or am I wrong? I would like to also get replies when I contact a "plain" member using PM, like when they have a complex case and I am willing to help them more closely, like using TeamViewer, for example, but I don't want everybody else knowing there's this possibility, or everybody would come up to the board annoying us for free TeamViewer support Sad

Meanwhile, let's have some tea and relax...

Tea 5 Tea 5

_________________
Enjoy the game however you want it, because you own it!

The Sim Architect



www.thesimarchitect.com

The Sims 4 All in One Portable [All Versions Available, Including the Latest, Always HERE]
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Posts : 2137
Points : 5672
Join date : 2012-03-10
Age : 41
Location : The Netherlands

Back to top Go down

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? Empty Re: Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends?

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ on Sat 29 Aug 2015, 20:48

Hi,

Do you get a lot of PM's from users? If you do, just send them a polite message back, explaining that we don't provide PM support with the reason (easier for other teammembers to jump in if needed, other users might benefit from seeing the post and the answer).

I think anyone that ranks abov you can still PM you if you turn private messaging off, but I'm not sure about that.

_________________
"Under sun and sky, we greet you warmly"



Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? Bn60syW to Games4theworld

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? 20181110


 
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW Super Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW Super Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Posts : 15147
Points : 21597
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? Empty Re: Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends?

Post by Sim Architect on Sun 30 Aug 2015, 05:31

Thanks! I will look into it. I would be awesome if we could create filters. I am not getting too many messages, so I will reply to them asking for a topic.

But I wonder how it is for you, that must get tons of those...

I wish you a great sunday!

_________________
Enjoy the game however you want it, because you own it!

The Sim Architect



www.thesimarchitect.com

The Sims 4 All in One Portable [All Versions Available, Including the Latest, Always HERE]
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Posts : 2137
Points : 5672
Join date : 2012-03-10
Age : 41
Location : The Netherlands

Back to top Go down

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? Empty Re: Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends?

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ on Sun 30 Aug 2015, 11:09

Not so much actually! But I did way back when I was in the pink usergroup. Maybe the red username scares them off Razz

_________________
"Under sun and sky, we greet you warmly"



Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? Bn60syW to Games4theworld

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? 20181110


 
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW Super Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW Super Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Posts : 15147
Points : 21597
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? Empty Re: Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 31 Aug 2015, 01:49



If you use the option "Allow members to send me private messages", and mark "yes", then regular users won't be able to sen you PMs. I'm guessing the same goes for the brown Helpers too.

Green Helpers and above ranks can still message you though. I disabled the option myself, and you obviously managed to send me PMs. Phoebe also sent a message, although in her case it's logical, because of her being Moderator. But it seems that green Helpers also "count" as Moderators here, and can send these PMs.

Keep in mind though that if you completely disable the option, as I said, brown Helpers won't be able to message you. And if regular users want to report spam, ads, or any other abuse (happens rarely, but still), then they can't get in touch with you.

Yes...I also used to get a lot of these PMs. But often these users also wrote a topic on the forum, so I replied to the topic instead of the PM. As for the rest...it's up to you how to deal with those. I can't really suggest anything special here. Replying to these messages is extra work, and it may be too much over time. Also note that people can't send you their TeamViewer information anymore, when you want to help them. You could ask them to post it on the chatbox and then clear it, but maybe that is problematic when there are other people on the chatbox too. I myself also have the "e-mail button" on my profile, and people could use that one to send me their information.

The disadvantage of that though is that people are occasionally spamming my e-mail inbox. But they can't see your e-mail address, as long as you don't reply to them. 
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper
Inspector General / Forumz O.G.
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper Inspector General / Forumz O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA V / GTA Online, Red Dead Redemption II / Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, Destiny 2.

Male

Posts : 18953
Points : 25729
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Hermit Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? Empty Re: Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends?

Post by Sim Architect on Mon 31 Aug 2015, 16:34

Carlos wrote:


If you use the option "Allow members to send me private messages", and mark "yes", then regular users won't be able to sen you PMs. I'm guessing the same goes for the brown Helpers too.

Green Helpers and above ranks can still message you though. I disabled the option myself, and you obviously managed to send me PMs. Phoebe also sent a message, although in her case it's logical, because of her being Moderator. But it seems that green Helpers also "count" as Moderators here, and can send these PMs.

Keep in mind though that if you completely disable the option, as I said, brown Helpers won't be able to message you. And if regular users want to report spam, ads, or any other abuse (happens rarely, but still), then they can't get in touch with you.

Yes...I also used to get a lot of these PMs. But often these users also wrote a topic on the forum, so I replied to the topic instead of the PM. As for the rest...it's up to you how to deal with those. I can't really suggest anything special here. Replying to these messages is extra work, and it may be too much over time. Also note that people can't send you their TeamViewer information anymore, when you want to help them. You could ask them to post it on the chatbox and then clear it, but maybe that is problematic when there are other people on the chatbox too. I myself also have the "e-mail button" on my profile, and people could use that one to send me their information.

The disadvantage of that though is that people are occasionally spamming my e-mail inbox. But they can't see your e-mail address, as long as you don't reply to them. 
Thanks, Carlos, but my profile is set to allow members to send me PM. I guess that it would block if you set it to "no", but then, I would not be able to get messages from helpers etc...?

Since I am not getting many messages, I will just reply to them denying service. If I start getting too many, I will delete them without reading, or maybe even add the persistent ones to my "foe" list (the name sounds quite aggressive, though, can we change it to something like "ignore" list instead, since they aren't actually enemies, but just annoying people who we want to ignore?).

Is the "foe list" public?

Thanks for the info, though! I don't usually provide support through TeamViewer (only offered it once, but the user never contacted me), but then I can ask for their ICQ number or I could PM them and they could reply to me instead (I guess replies should be allowed even if we block messages from members, or am I wrong?). Or maybe the "friends list" works like that?

Maybe we can play around with settings when we find some time and we are on line at same time Wink

See you soon!!

Tea 5 Tea 5

_________________
Enjoy the game however you want it, because you own it!

The Sim Architect



www.thesimarchitect.com

The Sims 4 All in One Portable [All Versions Available, Including the Latest, Always HERE]
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Posts : 2137
Points : 5672
Join date : 2012-03-10
Age : 41
Location : The Netherlands

Back to top Go down

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? Empty Re: Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends?

Post by Admin on Mon 31 Aug 2015, 20:01

Hi,

I always reply with:

"Hi ...,


Support is not provided via PM, please use the Forum at all times. Thank you!"

No need to get unfriendly about it. Razz

_________________
Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? Btn_donate_LG to Games4theworld

 
Admin
Admin
G4TW RETIRED Adminator
GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder
G4TW RETIRED Adminator GΛMΣ MΛƧƬΣЯ / Forum Founder

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Posts : 18886
Points : 1027527
Join date : 2010-03-12

Back to top Go down

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? Empty Re: Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends?

Post by Sim Architect on Mon 31 Aug 2015, 20:17

@Admin wrote:Hi,

I always reply with:

"Hi ...,


Support is not provided via PM, please use the Forum at all times. Thank you!"

No need to get unfriendly about it. Razz
I LIKE it!!!

All hail King Tea! All hail King Tea!

_________________
Enjoy the game however you want it, because you own it!

The Sim Architect



www.thesimarchitect.com

The Sims 4 All in One Portable [All Versions Available, Including the Latest, Always HERE]
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Posts : 2137
Points : 5672
Join date : 2012-03-10
Age : 41
Location : The Netherlands

Back to top Go down

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? Empty Re: Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 02:39

@Sim Architect wrote:Thanks, Carlos, but my profile is set to allow members to send me PM. I guess that it would block if you set it to "no", but then, I would not be able to get messages from helpers etc...?

Since I am not getting many messages, I will just reply to them denying service. If I start getting too many, I will delete them without reading, or maybe even add the persistent ones to my "foe" list (the name sounds quite aggressive, though, can we change it to something like "ignore" list instead, since they aren't actually enemies, but just annoying people who we want to ignore?).

Is the "foe list" public?

Thanks for the info, though! I don't usually provide support through TeamViewer (only offered it once, but the user never contacted me), but then I can ask for their ICQ number or I could PM them and they could reply to me instead (I guess replies should be allowed even if we block messages from members, or am I wrong?). Or maybe the "friends list" works like that?

Maybe we can play around with settings when we find some time and we are on line at same time Wink

See you soon!!

Tea 5 Tea 5


No, if you disable these PMs in your profile, brown Helpers cannot send you messages either. But everyone "higher" than that can. And the foe list can only be seen by you. Of course, if one finds that they cannot send you messages, they might then 'conclude' they are on your foe's list.

Occasionally I'm still getting e-mails now, from people asking help, but I simply don't reply to those. Interestingly, these are very often users with zero (0) posts, who seemingly only register to be able to send these e-mails. But OK, I'm guessing they "got the message", after not getting a reply from me.


Haters gonna hate Carlos is tha man Very Happy
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper
Inspector General / Forumz O.G.
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper Inspector General / Forumz O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA V / GTA Online, Red Dead Redemption II / Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, Destiny 2.

Male

Posts : 18953
Points : 25729
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Hermit Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends? Empty Re: Can we restrict private messages to helpers/mods only? Or, at least, only to friends?

Post by Sim Architect on Mon 07 Sep 2015, 04:54

Carlos wrote:
@Sim Architect wrote:Thanks, Carlos, but my profile is set to allow members to send me PM. I guess that it would block if you set it to "no", but then, I would not be able to get messages from helpers etc...?

Since I am not getting many messages, I will just reply to them denying service. If I start getting too many, I will delete them without reading, or maybe even add the persistent ones to my "foe" list (the name sounds quite aggressive, though, can we change it to something like "ignore" list instead, since they aren't actually enemies, but just annoying people who we want to ignore?).

Is the "foe list" public?

Thanks for the info, though! I don't usually provide support through TeamViewer (only offered it once, but the user never contacted me), but then I can ask for their ICQ number or I could PM them and they could reply to me instead (I guess replies should be allowed even if we block messages from members, or am I wrong?). Or maybe the "friends list" works like that?

Maybe we can play around with settings when we find some time and we are on line at same time Wink

See you soon!!

Tea 5 Tea 5


No, if you disable these PMs in your profile, brown Helpers cannot send you messages either. But everyone "higher" than that can. And the foe list can only be seen by you. Of course, if one finds that they cannot send you messages, they might then 'conclude' they are on your foe's list.

Occasionally I'm still getting e-mails now, from people asking help, but I simply don't reply to those. Interestingly, these are very often users with zero (0) posts, who seemingly only register to be able to send these e-mails. But OK, I'm guessing they "got the message", after not getting a reply from me.


Haters gonna hate Carlos is tha man Very Happy
Thanks!

_________________
Enjoy the game however you want it, because you own it!

The Sim Architect



www.thesimarchitect.com

The Sims 4 All in One Portable [All Versions Available, Including the Latest, Always HERE]
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Posts : 2137
Points : 5672
Join date : 2012-03-10
Age : 41
Location : The Netherlands

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum