Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED]

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should I return to G4TW?

Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 I_vote_lcap86%Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 86% 
[ 6 ]
Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 I_vote_lcap14%Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
 
Total Votes : 7
 

Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 Empty Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED]

Post by Sim Architect on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 18:45

First topic message reminder :

How are you all doing? After almost two years away... Should I return?

Piece of cake. Piece of cake. Piece of cake.

_________________
Enjoy the game however you want it, because you own it!

The Sim Architect



www.thesimarchitect.com

The Sims 4 All in One Portable [All Versions Available, Including the Latest, Always HERE]
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Posts : 2137
Points : 5673
Join date : 2012-03-10
Age : 41
Location : The Netherlands

Back to top Go down


Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 Empty Re: Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED]

Post by Guest on Wed 16 May 2018, 10:30

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Tarac wrote:(...) however the number of daily visitors did not drop dramatically. 


Yes, at this point I would still prefer more re-organizational work rather than getting back to those mostly repetitive Sims 4 questions (I guess we can leave a part of that work to the people who are interested in becoming Helpers/Moderators). Nothing has been decided yet however in the case of Sim Architect, and in my understanding the above request was mainly centered on moderator powers in a limited number of sections. 

And yes, getting back to "mostly repetitive questions" will still be a factor in the future as well, but in the current situation on here we might want to re-balance our focus, a little bit at least.
In my view, these mostly repetive questions, is caused by the fact that G4TW requires everybody to start his/her own question over and over again about the same error/problem.
This results in hundreds of topics about f.e. Origin is not running or simular questions and does not contribute to finding correct answers easily.
Again, in my view, topics are being closed too soon.

One of the well known problems of a forum is how to keep it transparent, reason why I attached a weebly-site to my forum

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 Empty Re: Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 16 May 2018, 11:51

Tarac wrote:One of the well known problems of a forum is how to keep it transparent, reason why I attached a weebly-site to my forum

What you have in mind is (nowadays) mostly called a blog or informational website; the intention of which is to post various types of content/information, without the level of user interaction like on a real Forum. Understandable in your case, since due to your age and/or other reasons you may not be able or willing to operate with the levels of repetitive questions, like on "real" Forums.

Nonetheless, I don't think we should turn G4TW into a museum just yet. We will keep up with writing good guides; and judging by the number of views under each tutorial a lot of people are reading those too. If someone happens to now have read the guides, then by all means they can and should still open their own thread.

Content is content, regardless of how one goes about organizing a Forum. The Sims-series is really dead, and at some point you will come to that conclusion as well.

I'm conceding, that the entire issue is more complex than we all are thinking right now. Back in the days of the old Admin, The Sims 3 was very popular. There were many posts, and also outside (!!) of the usual troubleshooting discussions. However, there was not much other content than The Sims 3. Granted, the old Admin was quite often on his own here. A lot of team members were appointed and they were good-willed, but in my opinion most of them either lacked the time/energy or imagination to really make more out of their Forum activity. I'm not mentioning specific names here, but in essence I am referring to the people who were Helpers or Moderators, and left very shortly after their appointments. In the end, nobody likes responding to the same things for an extended period of time. But then you have to make an effort and be creative; maybe start some kind of debate-thread or Forum contest or something like that. 

I think @Sim Architect does bring a level of creativity, that could help us here. What I also want to say is, for any future G4TW team members we might want to look for things that go beyond simply responding to posts on the public Forums.

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper
Inspector General / Forumz O.G.
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper Inspector General / Forumz O.G.

Posts : 18954
Join date : 2012-11-02

Back to top Go down

Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 Empty Re: Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED]

Post by Guest on Wed 16 May 2018, 12:56

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Tarac wrote:One of the well known problems of a forum is how to keep it transparent, reason why I attached a weebly-site to my forum

What you have in mind is (nowadays) mostly called a blog or informational website; the intention of which is to post various types of content/information, without the level of user interaction like on a real Forum. Understandable in your case, since due to your age and/or other reasons you may not be able or willing to operate with the levels of repetitive questions, like on "real" Forums.
What you stated above is not quite fair. 
On this forum I answered many repetitive questions (and still do)
The majority of my, at present over 2800, posts are related to repetitive questions and not to the "question solved, topic closed" contributions posted by many helpers/mods

In the header of this forum there is an item F.A.Q.
Why not expand this to sub-sections of Sims-related questions as well instead of only items about how to use the forum.
A good example of such FAQ's is the "Must read section"

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 Empty Re: Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED]

Post by ☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠ on Wed 16 May 2018, 13:22

Tarac wrote:
@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Tarac wrote:(...) however the number of daily visitors did not drop dramatically. 


Yes, at this point I would still prefer more re-organizational work rather than getting back to those mostly repetitive Sims 4 questions (I guess we can leave a part of that work to the people who are interested in becoming Helpers/Moderators). Nothing has been decided yet however in the case of Sim Architect, and in my understanding the above request was mainly centered on moderator powers in a limited number of sections. 

And yes, getting back to "mostly repetitive questions" will still be a factor in the future as well, but in the current situation on here we might want to re-balance our focus, a little bit at least.
In my view, these mostly repetive questions, is caused by the fact that G4TW requires everybody to start his/her own question over and over again about the same error/problem.
This results in hundreds of topics about f.e. Origin is not running or simular questions and does not contribute to finding correct answers easily.
Again, in my view, topics are being closed too soon.

One of the well known problems of a forum is how to keep it transparent, reason why I attached a weebly-site to my forum



We have learned, in the past, that similar looking problems can have different causes. Having several people post their question in the same topic, makes it messy, and harder to deal with individual issues. That's how we have worked here since forever. There is no right and wrong here, just different preferences.
We also have a lot of topics that we link to, in reply to topic openers with problems, and we take it from there.

Having said that, considering the amount of visitors the forum gets on a daily basis, compared to the number of questions we actually get, it seems to me that a whole lot of those visitors actually find the answer to their question by using the search function.

Tarac wrote:
@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
Tarac wrote:One of the well known problems of a forum is how to keep it transparent, reason why I attached a weebly-site to my forum

What you have in mind is (nowadays) mostly called a blog or informational website; the intention of which is to post various types of content/information, without the level of user interaction like on a real Forum. Understandable in your case, since due to your age and/or other reasons you may not be able or willing to operate with the levels of repetitive questions, like on "real" Forums.
What you stated above is not quite fair. 
On this forum I answered many repetitive questions (and still do)
The majority of my, at present over 2800, posts are related to repetitive questions and not to the "question solved, topic closed" contributions posted by many helpers/mods

In the header of this forum there is an item F.A.Q.
Why not expand this to sub-sections of Sims-related questions as well instead of only items about how to use the forum.
A good example of such FAQ's is the "Must read section"

Yes, and we agree, which is why a more elaborate FAQ has been in the making for a while now.

_________________
"Under sun and sky, we greet you warmly"



Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 Bn60syW to Games4theworld

Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 20181110


 
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
☠ ~ Aɳɳ ~ ☠
G4TW Super Adminatrix
First Lady / Commander-In-Chief
G4TW Super Adminatrix First Lady / Commander-In-Chief

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

Posts : 15147
Points : 21598
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 Empty Re: Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 16 May 2018, 20:51

Tarac wrote:What you stated above is not quite fair. 

Maybe I am being unfair here, yes. But then try and make an effort of being a bit more precise about what your concern is, or how specifically your "model Forum" is supposed to work in practical reality. Because I don't really understand what (else) you are trying to say. For all I care feel free to post in Dutch as well if you feel more confident in conversing about these types of issues in your native language; and we'll have it translated into English by someone. 

Besides, we are again so far off-topic, that maybe I should again post a "question solved topic closed-contribution"? It's good that you mentioned this by the way (although not exactly in a flattering manner?). I think future Helpers/Moderators must use these moderation tools more frequently again. Yes, it's not as glamorous as providing technical Support, but it needs to be done nonetheless to keep the Forum organized a bit.
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper
Inspector General / Forumz O.G.
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper Inspector General / Forumz O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA V / GTA Online, Red Dead Redemption II / Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, Destiny 2.

Male

Posts : 18954
Points : 25733
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Hermit Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 Empty Re: Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED]

Post by Sim Architect on Wed 16 May 2018, 23:44

Calm down, guys...

Let's have some   Censored and   Piece of cake.


IMHO, I think that both things are very important. People come here because they google for solutions, and the solutions are found by Google in this forum because of the countless hours of replying to repetitive questions with slight variants between them (differences that will only be found when you search for an error code 0022 or 0023 sometimes years after the fact happened for the first time to someone else and got a solution found here).


I am someone who usually grows tired very easily, so I really respect the pain Carlos, more than anybody else (sorry, but the truth can't be denied, anybody can browse the forum and find the evidence all over the place), deals with by replying again and again and again to (not so) different questions day in, day out. Rinse, lather, repeat...

So, to each its own. We need work done on different fronts, we have different matters to be dealt with, decisions, and work, work, work. 

Now, the Sim community seems far from dead, sorry. The fact that the ones among us who play with the game since its inception are getting bored and tired because where the new version lacks of, new generations are coming and taking it for what it is.

In my opinion there's ground to be broken, I feel the open world is built in the code when I try new versions of the game (even though it's not enabled to be used, at least until someone cracks the code and release a mod), and I just saw a Mod that offers some sort of limited multi-player experience.

If we keep getting visits but less questions, that means that something is being done right, and we have the forum staff and administration to thank for, plus perhaps a new generation of users that comes smarter and more able to do some research before just being lazy and placing a question without bothering with a simple search (which was a bit broken in the past, did Forumotion fix it?)...

Let's drink more  Censored  and have some Piece of cake.  with it!

_________________
Enjoy the game however you want it, because you own it!

The Sim Architect



www.thesimarchitect.com

The Sims 4 All in One Portable [All Versions Available, Including the Latest, Always HERE]
Sim Architect
Sim Architect
G4TW HONORARY Moderator
The Gray Eminence :p
G4TW HONORARY Moderator The Gray Eminence :p

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Plants vs Zombies, The Sims 3, Cities Skylines, The Sims 4

Male

Posts : 2137
Points : 5673
Join date : 2012-03-10
Age : 41
Location : The Netherlands

Back to top Go down

Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED] - Page 2 Empty Re: Hi! Should I return to the Forum? [CLOSED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 04:16

Going to close this topic now, since I think everything has been said. Smile
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper
Inspector General / Forumz O.G.
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper Inspector General / Forumz O.G.

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA V / GTA Online, Red Dead Redemption II / Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, Destiny 2.

Male

Posts : 18954
Points : 25733
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Hermit Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum