Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED] Empty How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED]

Post by Guest on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 15:48

I’ve been trying to finish up my wordpress blog for posting my builds and sims onto and I was trying to figure out how to link it to show the download wizard as soon as someone clicks the target to download the file.

I hope you understand what I mean. I’m bad at explaining lol



Mod edit: topic title improved.

- The_gh0stm4n

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED] Empty Re: How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED]

Post by Guest on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 15:55

I'm not sure about Wordpress but usually when you rightclick on an item in your site, you'll see the opportunity to create a link.
Such links must then be published or made available on your site.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED] Empty Re: How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED]

Post by Guest on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 16:27

Tarac wrote:I'm not sure about Wordpress but usually when you rightclick on an item in your site, you'll see the opportunity to create a link.
Such links must then be published or made available on your site.

I mean I know to share a link to a download. What I mean to say is how to make an auto download link. Like you click the target and the browser starts downloading automatically.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED] Empty Re: How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED]

Post by Guest on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 16:54

HelloLove98 wrote:
Tarac wrote:I'm not sure about Wordpress but usually when you rightclick on an item in your site, you'll see the opportunity to create a link.
Such links must then be published or made available on your site.

I mean I know to share a link to a download. What I mean to say is how to make an auto download link. Like you click the target and the browser starts downloading automatically
I'm not familiar with Wordpress, but on any site I've ever used you can select a piece of text, rightclick (or select a icon) and make a link. Then publish the site.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED] Empty Re: How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 18:52

Since I don't assume that free blog comes with download/bandwidth capabilities (you would have to purchase a download server on your own)...you will need to rely on other free solutions. One way to go about this is using MediaFire or OneDrive. I've tried making this work in various ways with MEGA & GoogleDrive, but couldn't get it work so far. Maybe there is a way by means of using Download manager-software, but yes.


Using MediaFire

1) Create a free account on MediaFire HERE, if you don't have one already, and log in.

2) Upload an item there.

3) Once the upload is done, the item will show up in the "listing" of items, on your account. CLICK on the item that you uploaded.

4) You will be re-directed to a new page. Look at the top for a green button that says "Download (filesize of item here)". Right-click on the green button and choose "copy link address".

5) Now look very carefully at the HTML code here:

Code:
<a href="http://download1643.mediafire.com/l48hi2fn7itg/z949dtcor66dxln/Carnival.rar" download>DOWNLOAD HERE!</a>


The URL after the a href, shows the code that you get when you did the previous step correctly (right-clicking on the green button, choosing "copy link address"). The portion of the above code where it says "DOWNLOAD HERE!" can be replaced with whatever wording you choose, for the actual link that people will see. You can also put something like "Grab my creations here". Either way, make sure to use the code exactly as in the above example of mine, with quotation marks, and all that. The example above is one of the TS4 Gallery items I once uploaded.

Use this HTML code in your Wordpress editor. If done correctly it will auto-download item(s), without re-directing users to a separate downloads page.



Using OneDrive


1) Create a Windows/LIVE account, if you don't have one already. Use THIS LINK HERE.

2) Upload an item there under the portion "OneDrive" (having a free Windows/LIVE account incorporates several different services, and OneDrive is for your filehosting needs).

3) Once the item has been uploaded and shows up under your listing of files, right-click on it and choose "Embed".

4) A portion of the window's right-side will now change, and if you do this the first time for a particular item, you will see a button "Generate". CLICK on the button. You have to do this only once, for every individual item.

5) You will then get a long-ish piece of code. Like my example here:

Code:
<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=C4268247EDD55DAB&resid=C4268247EDD55DAB%21230&authkey=ABqVaUm-RrKEcgY" width="98" height="120" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

I would suggest copying that into a .txt file, in order to make your work a bit easier. Remove EVERYTHING in the code except the portion starting from the https and the letters/digits following the authkey. So in the end, your code looks like this.

Code:
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=C4268247EDD55DAB&resid=C4268247EDD55DAB%21230&authkey=ABqVaUm-RrKEcgY

Now, we're not yet done. See the portion of the code that says embed? Replace that so it says download? See here:

Code:
https://onedrive.live.com/download?cid=C4268247EDD55DAB&resid=C4268247EDD55DAB%21230&authkey=ABqVaUm-RrKEcgY

And this code now is the direct URL for your item. If you give this URL (link) to someone else and they paste it into their browser, it should auto-download the item linked. We are using the latter method on the Forum here as well, but mostly for smaller items only because OneDrive is rather picky when it comes to bigger stuff. Smaller items like install guides, fixes, cracks, or in your case sims/houses should be fine though. You can even use an URL shortener like goo.gl, to make these links a bit easier to 'handle'.

If you're a novice, I would recommend using the latter method, because it doesn't involve using HTML, but either of these requires a particular method that you have to keep in mind.

Like I also hinted at the beginning, it also depends on the filehosting service that you choose. GoogleDrive & MEGA seem to make it more difficult for users, than MediaFire & OneDrive.

Good luck!
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper
Inspector General / Security Attaché
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper Inspector General / Security Attaché

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA V / GTA Online, Red Dead Redemption II / Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, Destiny 2.

Male

Posts : 18957
Points : 25804
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Liechtenstein / Switzerland / Austria

Back to top Go down

How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED] Empty Re: How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED]

Post by Guest on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 20:01

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:Since I don't assume that free blog comes with download/bandwidth capabilities (you would have to purchase a download server on your own)...you will need to rely on other free solutions. One way to go about this is using MediaFire or OneDrive. I've tried making this work in various ways with MEGA & GoogleDrive, but couldn't get it work so far. Maybe there is a way by means of using Download manager-software, but yes.


Using MediaFire

1) Create a free account on MediaFire HERE, if you don't have one already, and log in.

2) Upload an item there.

3) Once the upload is done, the item will show up in the "listing" of items, on your account. CLICK on the item that you uploaded.

4) You will be re-directed to a new page. Look at the top for a green button that says "Download (filesize of item here)". Right-click on the green button and choose "copy link address".

5) Now look very carefully at the HTML code here:

Code:
<a href="http://download1643.mediafire.com/l48hi2fn7itg/z949dtcor66dxln/Carnival.rar" download>DOWNLOAD HERE!</a>


The URL after the a href, shows the code that you get when you did the previous step correctly (right-clicking on the green button, choosing "copy link address"). The portion of the above code where it says "DOWNLOAD HERE!" can be replaced with whatever wording you choose, for the actual link that people will see. You can also put something like "Grab my creations here". Either way, make sure to use the code exactly as in the above example of mine, with quotation marks, and all that. The example above is one of the TS4 Gallery items I once uploaded.

Use this HTML code in your Wordpress editor. If done correctly it will auto-download item(s), without re-directing users to a separate downloads page.



Using OneDrive


1) Create a Windows/LIVE account, if you don't have one already. Use THIS LINK HERE.

2) Upload an item there under the portion "OneDrive" (having a free Windows/LIVE account incorporates several different services, and OneDrive is for your filehosting needs).

3) Once the item has been uploaded and shows up under your listing of files, right-click on it and choose "Embed".

4) A portion of the window's right-side will now change, and if you do this the first time for a particular item, you will see a button "Generate". CLICK on the button. You have to do this only once, for every individual item.

5) You will then get a long-ish piece of code. Like my example here:

Code:
<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=C4268247EDD55DAB&resid=C4268247EDD55DAB%21230&authkey=ABqVaUm-RrKEcgY" width="98" height="120" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

I would suggest copying that into a .txt file, in order to make your work a bit easier. Remove EVERYTHING in the code except the portion starting from the https and the letters/digits following the authkey. So in the end, your code looks like this.

Code:
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=C4268247EDD55DAB&resid=C4268247EDD55DAB%21230&authkey=ABqVaUm-RrKEcgY

Now, we're not yet done. See the portion of the code that says embed? Replace that so it says download? See here:

Code:
https://onedrive.live.com/download?cid=C4268247EDD55DAB&resid=C4268247EDD55DAB%21230&authkey=ABqVaUm-RrKEcgY

And this code now is the direct URL for your item. If you give this URL (link) to someone else and they paste it into their browser, it should auto-download the item linked. We are using the latter method on the Forum here as well, but mostly for smaller items only because OneDrive is rather picky when it comes to bigger stuff. Smaller items like install guides, fixes, cracks, or in your case sims/houses should be fine though. You can even use an URL shortener like goo.gl, to make these links a bit easier to 'handle'.

If you're a novice, I would recommend using the latter method, because it doesn't involve using HTML, but either of these requires a particular method that you have to keep in mind.

Like I also hinted at the beginning, it also depends on the filehosting service that you choose. GoogleDrive & MEGA seem to make it more difficult for users, than MediaFire & OneDrive.

Good luck!


Thank you so much! But I have one more question if you don’t be mind me bothering you again.

What if I wanted to use a free file hosting site like Nofile.io?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED] Empty Re: How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 20:28

HelloLove98 wrote:Thank you so much! But I have one more question if you don’t be mind me bothering you again.

What if I wanted to use a free file hosting site like Nofile.io?


I'm not familiar with that service, so I'm afraid I can't comment any further on it.  WhatDidUJustCallMe?  But you're still welcome! If you like, do keep us posted about your progress (and which method you ended up using).
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper
Inspector General / Security Attaché
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper Inspector General / Security Attaché

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA V / GTA Online, Red Dead Redemption II / Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, Destiny 2.

Male

Posts : 18957
Points : 25804
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Liechtenstein / Switzerland / Austria

Back to top Go down

How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED] Empty Re: How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED]

Post by Guest on Wed 07 Feb 2018, 23:34

Okay I promise this my final question Oh my...

I remembered that I saved a “makeshift download button” (basically a pic with a box that says “download” in it).

I probably just won’t use it, but if there’s a case where it’s possible, can I some how link the image to force a download?

_________________________________

UPDATE:

I ended up figuring it out. I just uploaded a test file to nofile.io and copied the file location and linked it up to the "button". The auto-download works Smile Thanks a lot you guys!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED] Empty Re: How do you make an auto-download link (in Wordpress)? [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 08 Feb 2018, 22:06

Alright, have fun with the blog, I guess. Very Happy  Problem solved, topic closed. Feel free to get in touch with us again, anytime!
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper
Inspector General / Security Attaché
G4TW RETIRED Gatekeeper Inspector General / Security Attaché

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA V / GTA Online, Red Dead Redemption II / Red Dead Online, Chessmaster XI, Monster Hunter: World, Paint the Town Red, Destiny 2.

Male

Posts : 18957
Points : 25804
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Liechtenstein / Switzerland / Austria

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum