Best VPN services?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 03 Jun 2019, 23:28

@Nina wrote:That worked - thx! Very Happy


Cool to hear!  Yess, aye lieeke!

Something that could be seen as a disadvantage of ProtonVPN is the (seemingly?) limited selection of P2P-capable countries/locations. For torrenting (and at the time of me writing this), you're basically restricted to The Netherlands, Singapore, Sweden and Switzerland. My theory is they are doing this to reduce chances of legal problems.

With for example Windscribe, most countries allow P2P-traffic, with some exceptions.

The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper
Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms

Posts : 17759
Join date : 2012-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by LittlePenguin on Mon 03 Jun 2019, 23:41

@Dracos66 wrote:

I've tried a lot of VPNs and can recommend 2 of them. Windscribe (they have a free acct with a 10GB limit per month but if you watch you can get the lifetime paid version on sale fairly cheap) and VPN.ac. Both are very good about IP and DNS leaks and they both offer great speed.

Windscribe is the easiest to set up if your new to VPNs.

Do you still recommend Windscribe? I have never used a VPN before, and I would love to be able to get caught up on the Sims4 expansions. I haven't been active here since "Get Together" was available, and I am super behind! Also, last year my ISP gave me a warning after I downloaded "Legend of Korra". Oops!  Wat. I haven't downloaded *anything* since then.

I am okay if there's a data cap on the free version.

LittlePenguin
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Posts : 49
Join date : 2012-06-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 16:58

@LittlePenguin wrote:
Do you still recommend Windscribe? I have never used a VPN before, and I would love to be able to get caught up on the Sims4 expansions. I haven't been active here since "Get Together" was available, and I am super behind! Also, last year my ISP gave me a warning after I downloaded "Legend of Korra". Oops!  Wat. I haven't downloaded *anything* since then.

I am okay if there's a data cap on the free version.


I think I may also be able to help here (in Dracos' absence).

I've also used Windscribe for a little while, and it's good. Windscribe is a Canada-based VPN, and the free plan has a limit of 10GB (upload + download combined), which makes it a bit tricky to use for serious torrenting. And especially given how large many of these modern PC games are, such as The Sims 4. Your data will be re-newed every month automatically, but un-used data from the previous month does not carry over to the next month. So with these 10GB, it's going to get very "tight", at least in my opinion.

I've said it somewhere here I believe, but Windscribe basically allows P2P-traffic in all of its countries (unlike e.g. ProtonVPN), with a few exceptions like India and Russia, if I'm not mistaken.

If you intend to use it for torrenting, and not everybody may agree to the following, but still...I would not recommend connecting to a server in countries such as the US, the UK, or even Canada. Connect to something like Switzerland, or The Netherlands. I think these countries are also available under the free plan. Note this has nothing to do with Windscribe, as I would recommend that to anybody using a VPN. If you are yourself located in North America, connecting to Europe may slow down your speeds somewhat due to the geographical distance, but in my opinion it would be safer.

Or you could do without a VPN, by using anadius' alternative downloads. Or, use ZLOrigin, which is comparable to direct downloads. Though in case of the latter, (American) ISPs are also catching up, and some are apparently blocking access to ZLOrigin servers, so you can't download stuff. Overall, I would recommend using the anadius-items. Smile

_________________
Best VPN services? - Page 3 ZlMMeKp

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // Contact Us


Choose your "Destiny" (wisely) !!

Best VPN services? - Page 3 JIghVzn
  Best VPN services? - Page 3 524tQLc  Best VPN services? - Page 3 HC9Xf8h
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper
Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 17759
Points : 24036
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by LittlePenguin on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 17:10

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@LittlePenguin wrote:
Do you still recommend Windscribe? I have never used a VPN before, and I would love to be able to get caught up on the Sims4 expansions. I haven't been active here since "Get Together" was available, and I am super behind! Also, last year my ISP gave me a warning after I downloaded "Legend of Korra". Oops!  Wat. I haven't downloaded *anything* since then.

I am okay if there's a data cap on the free version.


I think I may also be able to help here (in Dracos' absence).

I've also used Windscribe for a little while, and it's good. Windscribe is a Canada-based VPN, and the free plan has a limit of 10GB (upload + download combined), which makes it a bit tricky to use for serious torrenting. And especially given how large many of these modern PC games are, such as The Sims 4. Your data will be re-newed every month automatically, but un-used data from the previous month does not carry over to the next month. So with these 10GB, it's going to get very "tight", at least in my opinion.

I've said it somewhere here I believe, but Windscribe basically allows P2P-traffic in all of its countries (unlike e.g. ProtonVPN), with a few exceptions like India and Russia, if I'm not mistaken.

If you intend to use it for torrenting, and not everybody may agree to the following, but still...I would not recommend connecting to a server in countries such as the US, the UK, or even Canada. Connect to something like Switzerland, or The Netherlands. I think these countries are also available under the free plan. Note this has nothing to do with Windscribe, as I would recommend that to anybody using a VPN. If you are yourself located in North America, connecting to Europe may slow down your speeds somewhat due to the geographical distance, but in my opinion it would be safer.

Or you could do without a VPN, by using anadius' alternative downloads. Or, use ZLOrigin, which is comparable to direct downloads. Though in case of the latter, (American) ISPs are also catching up, and some are apparently blocking access to ZLOrigin servers, so you can't download stuff. Overall, I would recommend using the anadius-items. Smile

I am in the USA, so thank you for the heads-up. And direct downloads? Whoa, you guys are seriously like the most awesome Fairy Godparents ever!

But since you say that even those direct downloads might be noticed (less likely to be noticed? but still the possibility of being noticed?) what Swiss or Dutch VPNs would you recommend, and do they have free versions? (I'm broke right now. Too many medical bills. 'Murka!) Is that the ProtonVPN I've seen mention of?

_________________
LittlePenguin


Spelled "Penguin" Pronounced "Kitty"
My brain is the size of a walnut.
LittlePenguin
LittlePenguin
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims

Female

Posts : 49
Points : 2698
Join date : 2012-06-10
Age : 44
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 17:23

@LittlePenguin wrote:I am in the USA, so thank you for the heads-up. And direct downloads? Whoa, you guys are seriously like the most awesome Fairy Godparents ever!

But since you say that even those direct downloads might be noticed (less likely to be noticed? but still the possibility of being noticed?) what Swiss or Dutch VPNs would you recommend, and do they have free versions? (I'm broke right now. Too many medical bills. 'Murka!) Is that the ProtonVPN I've seen mention of?


Nah, you misunderstood something. If you're referring to my comment about ZLOrigin, then what I meant to say was, that certain ISPs simply block the connection to the ZLOrigin servers. So if you try downloading something, you get some kind of error message.

But regardless of ZLOrigin or any other direct downloads, in my opinion there is no way to detect that. Unless your ISP installed some kind of spy software...  Suspect  But to my knowledge, ISPs can see that a certain amount of data was transmitted, but they can't see what exactly was downloaded or uploaded. I know there are rumors circulating along these lines, but in my opinion these are being posted by stooges of the powers-that-be. Second opinions (with some technical insight) are welcome though, and of course.

Also, I don't know any Swiss or Dutch services. Well, except ProtonVPN, I suppose, which is based in Switzerland. But I was merely saying that the free plan of Windscribe is not optimal for grabbing these Sims 4 torrents. A lot of these modern VPNs have "presences" in many countries around the world. And jurisdictions vary from country to country. Again, this is little more than personal opinion, but you should connect to a "benevolent" country, in any VPN...one, that is more liberally-aligned towards P2P-activities.

Sorry to hear about your financial predicament, but then again. In your case you're going to be well-served with the items from @anadiusHappy B-day!

_________________
Best VPN services? - Page 3 ZlMMeKp

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // Contact Us


Choose your "Destiny" (wisely) !!

Best VPN services? - Page 3 JIghVzn
  Best VPN services? - Page 3 524tQLc  Best VPN services? - Page 3 HC9Xf8h
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper
Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 17759
Points : 24036
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by LittlePenguin on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 17:29

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@LittlePenguin wrote:I am in the USA, so thank you for the heads-up. And direct downloads? Whoa, you guys are seriously like the most awesome Fairy Godparents ever!

But since you say that even those direct downloads might be noticed (less likely to be noticed? but still the possibility of being noticed?) what Swiss or Dutch VPNs would you recommend, and do they have free versions? (I'm broke right now. Too many medical bills. 'Murka!) Is that the ProtonVPN I've seen mention of?


Nah, you misunderstood something. If you're referring to my comment about ZLOrigin, then what I meant to say was, that certain ISPs simply block the connection to the ZLOrigin servers. So if you try downloading something, you get some kind of error message.

But regardless of ZLOrigin or any other direct downloads, in my opinion there is no way to detect that. Unless your ISP installed some kind of spy software...  Suspect  But to my knowledge, ISPs can see that a certain amount of data was transmitted, but they can't see what exactly was downloaded or uploaded. I know there are rumors circulating along these lines, but in my opinion these are being posted by stooges of the powers-that-be. Second opinions (with some technical insight) are welcome though, and of course.

Also, I don't know any Swiss or Dutch services. Well, except ProtonVPN, I suppose, which is based in Switzerland. But I was merely saying that the free plan of Windscribe is not optimal for grabbing these Sims 4 torrents. A lot of these modern VPNs have "presences" in many countries around the world. And jurisdictions vary from country to country. Again, this is little more than personal opinion, but you should connect to a "benevolent" country, in any VPN...one, that is more liberally-aligned towards P2P-activities.

Sorry to hear about your financial predicament, but then again. In your case you're going to be well-served with the items from @anadiusHappy B-day!

I was talking about the anadius link, sorry for the confusion. So even though I'm in the USA with no VPN, I should have no concerns downloading from adadius?  Carlos is tha man!!! Dedicated to Carlos Hammertime

_________________
LittlePenguin


Spelled "Penguin" Pronounced "Kitty"
My brain is the size of a walnut.
LittlePenguin
LittlePenguin
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims

Female

Posts : 49
Points : 2698
Join date : 2012-06-10
Age : 44
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 17:32

@LittlePenguin wrote:I was talking about the anadius link, sorry for the confusion. So even though I'm in the USA with no VPN, I should have no concerns downloading from adadius?  Carlos is tha man!!! Dedicated to Carlos Hammertime


In my opinion, you're fine. Go ahead.  Carlos is tha man

_________________
Best VPN services? - Page 3 ZlMMeKp

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // Contact Us


Choose your "Destiny" (wisely) !!

Best VPN services? - Page 3 JIghVzn
  Best VPN services? - Page 3 524tQLc  Best VPN services? - Page 3 HC9Xf8h
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper
Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 17759
Points : 24036
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by LittlePenguin on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 17:51

@LittlePenguin wrote:I just checked out ProtonVPN and wow...  cheers I am seriously impressed! Hopefully it's not too complicated for a rank n00b.

I just checked out ProtonVPN and wow...  cheers I am seriously impressed! Hopefully it's not too complicated for a rank n00b.

//EDIT

Hm...

Safe file sharing


Our servers are optimized for P2P file sharing. This feature comes with fast download speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and the highest-strength encryption to protect your Internet connection.
Available on: Basic, Plus, Visionary.

But not on "Free". Does this just mean it's not optimized as described, but otherwise it's still hidden from curious eyes?

_________________
LittlePenguin


Spelled "Penguin" Pronounced "Kitty"
My brain is the size of a walnut.
LittlePenguin
LittlePenguin
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims

Female

Posts : 49
Points : 2698
Join date : 2012-06-10
Age : 44
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 18:08

@LittlePenguin wrote:I just checked out ProtonVPN and wow...  cheers I am seriously impressed! Hopefully it's not too complicated for a rank n00b.

//EDIT

Hm...

Safe file sharing









Our servers are optimized for P2P file sharing. This feature comes with fast download speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and the highest-strength encryption to protect your Internet connection.
Available on: Basic, Plus, Visionary.

But not on "Free". Does this just mean it's not optimized as described, but otherwise it's still hidden from curious eyes?


That basically means P2P servers are not available under the free plan in ProtonVPN. Wat.  Then again, we can't expect full torrenting capabilities from any free VPN. It's an unpleasant fact in these modern times that VPNs have become such a necessity for online privacy. Well, in some countries at least. And yes, it's an investment kind of, that has to be made. 

If money is an issue, feel free to follow these services to make use of special discounts, that come up from time to time. Besides ProtonVPN, there is also NordVPN. I don't have firsthand experience myself with NordVPN, but it's also a trusted and well-known service.
https://nordvpn.com/offer/brand/?gclid=CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNlWr62iq8mRRH2l0lS9PdfvOZHYepQSrYNsPOmhNnbIIbLxOI_XX6xoCZFwQAvD_BwE

2.62 Euros per month/if you order a plan for 3 years, also sounds nice to me. Of course, that doesn't mean it has to sound nice, for everybody.

As cynical as it sounds, the culture of fear that is being created by these Internet Providers is a very good way to combat piracy. I have to grant them that. People download something, get a warning, and at least get discouraged from further "acts of piracy". And as a little bonus, it (very slightly?) increases the chances of people spending even more money on movies, music, or whatever else they wanted to try to pirate in the first place. 

A lot easier than seizing domains, taking down "off-shore pirate sites", and whatnot.  Killkillkillkill!

_________________
Best VPN services? - Page 3 ZlMMeKp

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // Contact Us


Choose your "Destiny" (wisely) !!

Best VPN services? - Page 3 JIghVzn
  Best VPN services? - Page 3 524tQLc  Best VPN services? - Page 3 HC9Xf8h
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper
Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 17759
Points : 24036
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by LittlePenguin on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 19:04

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@LittlePenguin wrote:That basically means P2P servers are not available under the free plan in ProtonVPN. Wat.  Then again, we can't expect full torrenting capabilities from any free VPN. It's an unpleasant fact in these modern times that VPNs have become such a necessity for online privacy. Well, in some countries at least. And yes, it's an investment kind of, that has to be made.

If money is an issue, feel free to follow these services to make use of special discounts, that come up from time to time. Besides ProtonVPN, there is also NordVPN. I don't have firsthand experience myself with NordVPN, but it's also a trusted and well-known service.

https://nordvpn.com/offer/brand/?gclid=CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNlWr62iq8mRRH2l0lS9PdfvOZHYepQSrYNsPOmhNnbIIbLxOI_XX6xoCZFwQAvD_BwE

2.62 Euros per month/if you order a plan for 3 years, also sounds nice to me. Of course, that doesn't mean it has to sound nice, for everybody.

As cynical as it sounds, the culture of fear that is being created by these Internet Providers is a very good way to combat piracy. I have to grant them that. People download something, get a warning, and at least get discouraged from further "acts of piracy". And as a little bonus, it (very slightly?) increases the chances of people spending even more money on movies, music, or whatever else they wanted to try to pirate in the first place.

A lot easier than seizing domains, taking down "off-shore pirate sites", and whatnot.  Killkillkillkill!

Sorry for the continuous n00b questions, my brain is the size of a walnut. Does "P2P servers are not available under the free plan in ProtonVPN" mean that it is useless for torrenting and might as well not be using it at all?

> People download something, get a warning, and at least get discouraged from further "acts of piracy".

Yep, that was me last year. Hence my joy at discovering that I can get caught up with the Sims 4 via a direct download. I might be installing ProtonVPN anyway, although is there anything about using a VPN in and of itself that makes ISPs wonder what you're up to? I realize you might not have knowledge of how it works in the USA.

Is there anything unusual about using two different VPNs? (In this case Proton and Nord?)

_________________
LittlePenguin


Spelled "Penguin" Pronounced "Kitty"
My brain is the size of a walnut.
LittlePenguin
LittlePenguin
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims

Female

Posts : 49
Points : 2698
Join date : 2012-06-10
Age : 44
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 19:18

@LittlePenguin wrote:
Sorry for the continuous n00b questions, my brain is the size of a walnut. Does "P2P servers are not available under the free plan in ProtonVPN" mean that it is useless for torrenting and might as well not be using it at all?


It's OK. And yes, the servers under ProtonVPN's free plan cannot be used for any torrenting whatsoever. Plain and simple. You can use the free ProtonVPN for browsing anonymously. If you log into the free ProtonVPN and then try torrent something, the client will pop up with an error message saying you need to upgrade the plan, if you want to torrent through ProtonVPN.



@LittlePenguin wrote:> People download something, get a warning, and at least get discouraged from further "acts of piracy".

Yep, that was me last year. Hence my joy at discovering that I can get caught up with the Sims 4 via a direct download. I might be installing ProtonVPN anyway, although is there anything about using a VPN in and of itself that makes ISPs wonder what you're up to? I realize you might not have knowledge of how it works in the USA.

Is there anything unusual about using two different VPNs? (In this case Proton and Nord?)


I know of some American users who used to, or still do, help use seeding these Sims 4 torrents. All of them also used VPNs, from what I gathered in various talks. No problems on their end. But again, if you use a VPN that allows you to choose a "location" or "country", don't connect to the US/UK/Canada for torrenting purposes.

And why would you use 2 VPNs? You mean you want to route your traffic through 2 VPN services? Yes, I guess that could work theoretically, but if it did, chances are it's going to slow down your connection.

ProtonVPN offers "SecureCore", which achieves the same, in that it routes your traffic through multiple countries. However...it is only available under the 8$/month plan (ProtonVPN Plus). And yes, I tried using it, but this feature slows down my internet too much for my taste. So I'm connecting "normally" now, in the sense of connecting to just one country/location at a time, under ProtonVPN.

WhatDidUJustCallMe?

_________________
Best VPN services? - Page 3 ZlMMeKp

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // Contact Us


Choose your "Destiny" (wisely) !!

Best VPN services? - Page 3 JIghVzn
  Best VPN services? - Page 3 524tQLc  Best VPN services? - Page 3 HC9Xf8h
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper
Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 17759
Points : 24036
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by LittlePenguin on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 19:34

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@LittlePenguin wrote:And why would you use 2 VPNs? You mean you want to route your traffic through 2 VPN services? Yes, I guess that could work theoretically, but if it did, chances are it's going to slow down your connection.

ProtonVPN offers "SecureCore", which achieves the same, in that it routes your traffic through multiple countries. However...it is only available under the 8$/month plan (ProtonVPN Plus). And yes, I tried using it, but this feature slows down my internet too much for my taste. So I'm connecting "normally", now, in the sense of connecting to one country/location under ProtonVPN.

WhatDidUJustCallMe?

Oh, I didn't mean at the same time. I was thinking more in terms of alternating in case of encountering data caps.

Also, I'm looking at downloading ProtonVPN now and it's asking me for config settings and I have no idea what's what. UDP vs TCP protocol? I have no idea what the difference is or how it matters. Country 1 via country 2?  scratch Question

_________________
LittlePenguin


Spelled "Penguin" Pronounced "Kitty"
My brain is the size of a walnut.
LittlePenguin
LittlePenguin
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims

Female

Posts : 49
Points : 2698
Join date : 2012-06-10
Age : 44
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 19:38

@LittlePenguin wrote:Oh, I didn't mean at the same time. I was thinking more in terms of alternating in case of encountering data caps.

Also, I'm looking at downloading ProtonVPN now and it's asking me for config settings and I have no idea what's what. UDP vs TCP protocol? I have no idea what the difference is or how it matters. Country 1 via country 2?  scratch Question


Been a while since I installed the client, maybe they introduced some changes in the newer versions.

I myself use UDP, which is or should be the default. What do you mean by "country 1 via country 2"? Or can you provide a screenshot of where you get stuck, so we get a better idea?

_________________
Best VPN services? - Page 3 ZlMMeKp

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // Contact Us


Choose your "Destiny" (wisely) !!

Best VPN services? - Page 3 JIghVzn
  Best VPN services? - Page 3 524tQLc  Best VPN services? - Page 3 HC9Xf8h
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper
Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 17759
Points : 24036
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by LittlePenguin on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 19:49

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@LittlePenguin wrote:Oh, I didn't mean at the same time. I was thinking more in terms of alternating in case of encountering data caps.

Also, I'm looking at downloading ProtonVPN now and it's asking me for config settings and I have no idea what's what. UDP vs TCP protocol? I have no idea what the difference is or how it matters. Country 1 via country 2?  scratch Question


Been a while since I installed the client, maybe they introduced some changes in the newer versions.

I myself use UDP, which is or should be the default. What do you mean by "country 1 via country 2"? Or can you provide a screenshot of where you get stuck, so we get a better idea?

Dunno if this will display the same for you as it is for me:   
https://account.protonvpn.com/downloads
The screenshot *should*? be attached. I was having some trouble with it and it doesn't show up in the preview.

Best VPN services? - Page 3 5pXEMpR

_________________
LittlePenguin


Spelled "Penguin" Pronounced "Kitty"
My brain is the size of a walnut.
LittlePenguin
LittlePenguin
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims

Female

Posts : 49
Points : 2698
Join date : 2012-06-10
Age : 44
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 20:07

@LittlePenguin wrote:Dunno if this will display the same for you as it is for me:   
https://account.protonvpn.com/downloads
The screenshot *should*? be attached. I was having some trouble with it and it doesn't show up in the preview.


Can you try installing the client from this page here? ("Download for Windows")
https://protonvpn.com/download/

As for actually being able to log in, I recommend you create a ProtonMail account. And then use the credentials from the ProtonMail, to log into the ProtonVPN. I am not 100% sure if you really have to do that, but it's the way I did it. And ProtonMail is also free of charge. 

Code:
https://protonmail.com/


Never seen what you are seeing in your screenshot, I guess it's possible to use ProtonVPN without the ProtonMail. But this looks strange, and I wouldn't really know what to configure there either. It seems like the entire thing is based on the assumption, that the user wants to have a paid plan.

Like, if you look closely, it says "Secure Core configs" on your highlighted part of the entire menu. But this is not relevant at all, if you want to sign up for the free ProtonVPN.

_________________
Best VPN services? - Page 3 ZlMMeKp

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // Contact Us


Choose your "Destiny" (wisely) !!

Best VPN services? - Page 3 JIghVzn
  Best VPN services? - Page 3 524tQLc  Best VPN services? - Page 3 HC9Xf8h
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper
Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 17759
Points : 24036
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by LittlePenguin on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 20:13

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@LittlePenguin wrote:Never seen what you are seeing in your screenshot, I guess it's possible to use ProtonVPN without the ProtonMail. But this looks strange, and I wouldn't really know what to configure there either. It seems like the entire thing is based on the assumption, that the user wants to have a paid plan.

Like, if you look closely, it says "Secure Core configs" on your highlighted part of the entire menu. But this is not relevant at all, if you want to sign up for the free ProtonVPN.

I just realized my error:

> OpenVPN configuration files
> Use this section to generate config files for third party VPN clients or when setting up a connection on a router. If you use a native ProtonVPN client to connect, you do not need to manually handle these configuration files.

Sigh. I'm not usually this dense...

_________________
LittlePenguin


Spelled "Penguin" Pronounced "Kitty"
My brain is the size of a walnut.
LittlePenguin
LittlePenguin
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims

Female

Posts : 49
Points : 2698
Join date : 2012-06-10
Age : 44
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 05 Jun 2019, 20:17

@LittlePenguin wrote:

I just realized my error:

> OpenVPN configuration files
> Use this section to generate config files for third party VPN clients or when setting up a connection on a router. If you use a native ProtonVPN client to connect, you do not need to manually handle these configuration files.

Sigh. I'm not usually this dense...


I mean, the thing is not going to run away. So I suppose you can try again sometime else. 

Yes, downloading that client that I linked before is the easiest way to get started in ProtonVPN. Feel free to post back in case of further issues. Good luck for now!  Yess, aye lieeke!  I'm out.

_________________
Best VPN services? - Page 3 ZlMMeKp

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // Contact Us


Choose your "Destiny" (wisely) !!

Best VPN services? - Page 3 JIghVzn
  Best VPN services? - Page 3 524tQLc  Best VPN services? - Page 3 HC9Xf8h
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper
Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 17759
Points : 24036
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by LittlePenguin on Fri 07 Jun 2019, 03:54

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@LittlePenguin wrote:I was talking about the anadius link, sorry for the confusion. So even though I'm in the USA with no VPN, I should have no concerns downloading from anadius?  Carlos is tha man!!! Dedicated to Carlos Hammertime


In my opinion, you're fine. Go ahead.  Carlos is tha man

I'm running ProtonVPN (wow, it's idiot-proof!) while getting anadius's MediaFire direct downloads. A little extra caution never hurt anything. Thank you so much for all the good advice. And thank you so much to @anadius for making the direct downloads available! Before much longer, I'll be working through installing the whole shebang.  Carlos is tha man!!! Hail King Tea!  All Hail Carlos!

_________________
LittlePenguin


Spelled "Penguin" Pronounced "Kitty"
My brain is the size of a walnut.
LittlePenguin
LittlePenguin
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims

Female

Posts : 49
Points : 2698
Join date : 2012-06-10
Age : 44
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by Nina on Fri 07 Jun 2019, 22:43

@LittlePenguin wrote:


I'm running ProtonVPN (wow, it's idiot-proof!) while getting anadius's MediaFire direct downloads. A little extra caution never hurt anything. Thank you so much for all the good advice. And thank you so much to @anadius for making the direct downloads available! Before much longer, I'll be working through installing the whole shebang.  Carlos is tha man!!! Hail King Tea!  All Hail Carlos!

I think most of these mainstream VPN clients are 'idiot-proof', otherwise most people wouldn't buy these services. 

Carlos is tha man
Nina
Nina
Beginner
Beginner

Favourite games : Simulation games

Female

Posts : 13
Points : 1797
Join date : 2014-10-13
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 08 Jun 2019, 22:04

I see that as of now, NordVPN still offers this 3-year-plan for 2.99$ or 2.62€, per month. Not sure for how long the discount goes, but I'd strongly recommend that if any of you suffer from ISP surveillance, and if you have some cash to spare, ... that you "invest in a (secure) future", so-to-speak!
https://nordvpn.com

_________________
Best VPN services? - Page 3 ZlMMeKp

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // Contact Us


Choose your "Destiny" (wisely) !!

Best VPN services? - Page 3 JIghVzn
  Best VPN services? - Page 3 524tQLc  Best VPN services? - Page 3 HC9Xf8h
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper
Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 17759
Points : 24036
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by coldh4rt on Sun 09 Jun 2019, 17:47

Is Windscribe reliable? Smile
coldh4rt
coldh4rt
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 8

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 4, Red Dead Redemption 2, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Fallout 4, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Female

Posts : 6
Points : 257
Join date : 2018-12-20
Age : 17
Location : Cyberspace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Mon 10 Jun 2019, 16:28

@coldh4rt wrote:Is Windscribe reliable? Smile


You'll be fine. Just keep in mind the free plan has only 10GB of data, which may be OK if you really only use it for those Sims 4 updates. Even then, it will likely be tight. Also as said before, if you intend to use it for torrenting don't actually connect to a country that is "hostile" in that regard. Example: the US, Canada, UK, Germany, France; and I guess Australia and New Zealand can also be added to that list.

Switzerland or The Netherlands are more preferable locations to connect to. But that isn't restricted to Windscribe, I'd advise everybody to do so, regardless of their VPN provider. 

*Just in case*.  Suspect

//EDIT

If you decide to go for a paid plan in Windscribe, you'll have access to the Eastern European locations, which I think are also fine to connect to, for torrenting activities. Windscribe's Russia-servers, btw, don't support P2P-traffic. But there are a few other locations from Eastern Europe too, like Ukraine.

_________________
Best VPN services? - Page 3 ZlMMeKp

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // Contact Us


Choose your "Destiny" (wisely) !!

Best VPN services? - Page 3 JIghVzn
  Best VPN services? - Page 3 524tQLc  Best VPN services? - Page 3 HC9Xf8h
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper
Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 17759
Points : 24036
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by Freezer Bunny on Fri 28 Jun 2019, 23:46

I use Perfect Privacy. It's more expensive than NordVPN or ProtonVPN, but also waaaaaay more advanced from a technical standpoint.

Haters gonna hate
Freezer Bunny
Freezer Bunny
The real one.
The real one.

Favourite games : The Sims games

Female

Posts : 34
Points : 3517
Join date : 2010-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 29 Jun 2019, 20:20

@Freezer Bunny wrote:(...) more expensive than NordVPN or ProtonVPN, but also waaaaaay more advanced from a technical standpoint.

Haters gonna hate


Best VPN services? - Page 3 DSC4cMh


//EDIT



Perfect Privacy wrote:Your advantages with Perfect Privacy

No logging/log-files

For all your devices

Cascading of multiple VPN servers

Configurable port forwardings

No traffic limit

Up to 1000Mbps bandwidth

Easily usable client software

Support via email, forum, and TeamViewer

Quickly switch between OpenVPN and IPsec/IKEv2

IPv6 Support

TrackStop™

Stealth VPN Technology

NeuroRouting™


On the other hand, wouldn't such a service be an overkill for the average person just wanting to torrent something? Haters gonna hate

_________________
Best VPN services? - Page 3 ZlMMeKp

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // Contact Us


Choose your "Destiny" (wisely) !!

Best VPN services? - Page 3 JIghVzn
  Best VPN services? - Page 3 524tQLc  Best VPN services? - Page 3 HC9Xf8h
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper
Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 17759
Points : 24036
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by Freezer Bunny on Sun 30 Jun 2019, 22:18

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:On the other hand, wouldn't such a service be an overkill for the average person just wanting to torrent something? Haters gonna hate


Best VPN services? - Page 3 DE2cqmp

_________________
Best VPN services? - Page 3 Bn60syW to Games4theworld

Freezer Bunny
Freezer Bunny
The real one.
The real one.

Favourite games : The Sims games

Female

Posts : 34
Points : 3517
Join date : 2010-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by Psych0 Smil3s64 on Sun 14 Jul 2019, 17:07

I use ExpressVPN, it's $12 a month and is among the top rated VPNs of 2019. Before that i used IPVanish, before that i used PIA. Both of those are cheap good alternatives as well.

Psych0 Smil3s64
BUSTED!
BUSTED!

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Sims 3, COD Black Ops 2 zombies

Male

Posts : 4
Points : 47
Join date : 2019-07-14
Age : 35
Location : Detroit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Best VPN services? - Page 3 Empty Re: Best VPN services?

Post by Rudi50 on Sat 27 Jul 2019, 21:51

I've used VPN.ac, and from all VPN services I've tested so far, the speeds are the most reliable, with that service. Very Happy  They're also based somewhere in Eastern Europe, I think Romania, which is also better in terms of general privacy compared to pretty much the rest of Western Europe & North America.

Rudi50
Beginner
Beginner

Favourite games : Prison Architect, Enter the Gungeon, God of War, etc.

Male

Posts : 9
Points : 2172
Join date : 2013-10-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum