Problem with the newest patch update link

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by Honey Empress on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 08:34

I usually never have issues downloading anything from here, but for some reason when I click the torrent or direct download link to the latest patch, the link goes to adfly then loads and loads. It sends me to some link-to website which is basically just a white page telling me the site can't be reached.
avatar
Honey Empress
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 11
Points : 809
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by Tarac on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 11:03

@Honey Empress wrote:I usually never have issues downloading anything from here, but for some reason when I click the torrent or direct download link to the latest patch, the link goes to adfly then loads and loads. It sends me to some link-to website which is basically just a white page telling me the site can't be reached.
Try THIS LINK
avatar
Tarac
G4TW Guest Contributor
G4TW Guest Contributor

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Card games

Male

Posts : 3329
Points : 5930
Reputation : 566
Join date : 2013-09-14
Age : 75
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile https://forumpages.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by citticringle on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 14:51

@Tarac wrote:
@Honey Empress wrote:I usually never have issues downloading anything from here, but for some reason when I click the torrent or direct download link to the latest patch, the link goes to adfly then loads and loads. It sends me to some link-to website which is basically just a white page telling me the site can't be reached.
Try THIS LINK

Thankyou so much!  
I was having the same issue.  3 different browsers, turned off adblock, no anti-virus and still couldn't load the page.
avatar
citticringle
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Fallout Series, Mass Effect Original Trilogy, The Long Dark, Most Survival Games.

Female

Posts : 11
Points : 2201
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-11-22
Age : 41
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by Tarac on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 15:18

G4TW understandably tries to make some money out of their downloads, websites cost money, reason why they use Adf.ly.
However, when you switch off your ad-blocker you allow various (sometime malicious) websites to penetrate into your PC.
I have warned G4TW several times about this.

In case you want to use official G4TW torrent-downloads for the Sims 4,without interference of Adf.ly consult THIS PAGE
When you are satisfied with these downloads you can of course donate to G4TW if you wish.

EDIT:
I notice that the G4TW staff has redirected my link to Adf.ly again


Last edited by Tarac on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 15:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link changed by G4TW staff to Adf.ly)
avatar
Tarac
G4TW Guest Contributor
G4TW Guest Contributor

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Card games

Male

Posts : 3329
Points : 5930
Reputation : 566
Join date : 2013-09-14
Age : 75
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile https://forumpages.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by citticringle on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 15:26

Oh that link....just perfect!
Thankyou, you're a star  Smile
avatar
citticringle
Beginner
Beginner

Windows version :
  • Windows 7

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Fallout Series, Mass Effect Original Trilogy, The Long Dark, Most Survival Games.

Female

Posts : 11
Points : 2201
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-11-22
Age : 41
Location : UK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 15:43

@Tarac wrote:I have warned G4TW several times about this. (...)


Yes, yes, you did. "There is a virus! [no further details], because Windows Defender said so!", "G4TW should not ask for donations!", "G4TW should not use ads!". If there is a problem with the links, people should take their time and write a well-founded response that goes beyond the above comments. Such as, including screenshots of alleged warnings, or similar 'evidence'.

Also, someone with your experience should really know by now that certain corporations out there are deliberately portraying these downloads and download links as "virusses", because the activities here run against their financial interest. Which you also seem to be unaware of, interestingly?

I'm open to (good) alternative suggestions, and so is the team. But just saying "there is a virus", is not enough. And until then, we are going to use these ads.

_________________



Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // All G4TW Downloads // G4TW The Sims 4 Gallery Collection // How YOU can help seeding!

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 Overview // How to install The Sims 3 // TS3 DLC install checklist // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & if you don't get a reply after 24 hours of opening a new Forum thread!


avatar
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Training Administrator
General of the Armies/Gatekeeper
G4TW Training Administrator General of the Armies/Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 16714
Points : 22452
Reputation : 2449
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by Tarac on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 15:59

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@Tarac wrote:I have warned G4TW several times about this. (...)


Yes, yes, you did. "There is a virus! [no further details], because Windows Defender said so!", "G4TW should not ask for donations!", "G4TW should not use ads!". If there is a problem with the links, people should take their time and write a well-founded response that goes beyond the above comments. Such as, including screenshots of alleged warnings, or similar 'evidence'.

Also, someone with your experience should really know by now that certain corporations out there are deliberately portraying these downloads and download links as "virusses", because the activities here run against their financial interest. Which you also seem to be unaware of, interestingly?

I'm open to (good) alternative suggestions, and so is the team. But just saying "there is a virus", is not enough. And until then, we are going to use these ads.
Long time ago I've proved to @Ann that Adf.ly posts trackers and other malware. This malware is not noticed by Windows Defender but I found it via Spyhunter.
I even sent a video to @Ann to prove my point.
I'm not talking about "warnings" for cracks like rld.dll, OrangeEmu.dll aso but I'm talking about real threats like trackers and trojans.
Once again, I'm not just saying "there is a virus", I've sent 100% proof to @Ann, so what more can I do ?
avatar
Tarac
G4TW Guest Contributor
G4TW Guest Contributor

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Card games

Male

Posts : 3329
Points : 5930
Reputation : 566
Join date : 2013-09-14
Age : 75
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile https://forumpages.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 16:15

@Tarac wrote:Long time ago I've proved to @Ann that Adf.ly posts trackers and other malware. This malware is not noticed by Windows Defender but I found it via Spyhunter.
I even sent a video to @Ann to prove my point.
I'm not talking about "warnings" for cracks like rld.dll, OrangeEmu.dll aso but I'm talking about real threats like trackers and trojans.
Once again, I'm not just saying "there is a virus", I've sent 100% proof to @Ann, so what more can I do ?


SpyHunter, yes, yes. A very interesting ARTICLE:

Wikipedia wrote:In October 2016, Enigma Software filed a lawsuit against popular security software vendor, Malwarebytes. The lawsuit arose after Malwarebytes' software began targeting SpyHunter as a potentially unwanted program.[6] On November 7, 2017, Enigma's case was dismissed by the US District Court. [7]

So much in-fighting among these (mostly North American) tech companies, wouldn't be suprised at all if whatever "warning" you got was just a message to not use pirated items.

Did it never struck you to ask who actually benefits from these downloads (download LINKS, in this case) to be flagged as malware? Nobody benefits, except the copyright holders and these tech companies. Maybe there was once some malware on these ad-services for some time, I don't know. But in general I've stopped taking these "warnings" seriously.

See, these antivirus programs are good at targeting (politically) unwanted sites or items. But in my experience, most of them don't help when it comes to REAL virusses/malware.



@Tarac wrote:Once again, I'm not just saying "there is a virus", I've sent 100% proof to @Ann, so what more can I do ?

Maybe adopt a slightly more critical attitude to the outside world. You do it all the time with G4TW's Forum rules and policies, so why not do the same with these North American tech companies?

_________________



Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // All G4TW Downloads // G4TW The Sims 4 Gallery Collection // How YOU can help seeding!

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 Overview // How to install The Sims 3 // TS3 DLC install checklist // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & if you don't get a reply after 24 hours of opening a new Forum thread!


avatar
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Training Administrator
General of the Armies/Gatekeeper
G4TW Training Administrator General of the Armies/Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 16714
Points : 22452
Reputation : 2449
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by Tarac on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 16:27

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@Tarac wrote:Long time ago I've proved to @Ann that Adf.ly posts trackers and other malware. This malware is not noticed by Windows Defender but I found it via Spyhunter.
I even sent a video to @Ann to prove my point.
I'm not talking about "warnings" for cracks like rld.dll, OrangeEmu.dll aso but I'm talking about real threats like trackers and trojans.
Once again, I'm not just saying "there is a virus", I've sent 100% proof to @Ann, so what more can I do ?


SpyHunter, yes, yes. A very interesting ARTICLE:

Wikipedia wrote:In October 2016, Enigma Software filed a lawsuit against popular security software vendor, Malwarebytes. The lawsuit arose after Malwarebytes' software began targeting SpyHunter as a potentially unwanted program.[6] On November 7, 2017, Enigma's case was dismissed by the US District Court. [7]

So much in-fighting among these (mostly North American) tech companies, wouldn't be suprised at all if whatever "warning" you got was just a message to not use pirated items.

Did it never struck you to ask who actually benefits from these downloads (download LINKS, in this case) to be flagged as malware? Nobody benefits, except the copyright holders and these tech companies. Maybe there was once some malware on these ad-services for some time, I don't know. But in general I've stopped taking these "warnings" seriously.

See, these antivirus programs are good at targeting (politically) unwanted sites or items. But in my experience, most of them don't help when it comes to REAL virusses/malware.



@Tarac wrote:Once again, I'm not just saying "there is a virus", I've sent 100% proof to @Ann, so what more can I do ?

Maybe adopt a slightly more critical attitude to the outside world. You do it all the time with G4TW's Forum rules and policies, so why not do the same with these North American tech companies?
Never mind, I'm not responsible for G4TW using Adf.ly. (or for the forum-users as such)
It has nothing at all to do with pirated items.
Do whatever you think is fit and safe.
Again, it doesn't come up as a warning in Spyhunter , it's only discovered when you scan your PC
I've made my point and it's upto you what you do with it.
You want to ignore it ? Ok with me.
avatar
Tarac
G4TW Guest Contributor
G4TW Guest Contributor

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Card games

Male

Posts : 3329
Points : 5930
Reputation : 566
Join date : 2013-09-14
Age : 75
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile https://forumpages.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 16:34

@Tarac wrote:(...) You want to ignore it ? Ok with me.

Whoo, now I'm really afraid of these North American tech companies, and the people (unknowingly?) advocating on their behalf.

We've got a Carloz.

_________________



Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // All G4TW Downloads // G4TW The Sims 4 Gallery Collection // How YOU can help seeding!

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 Overview // How to install The Sims 3 // TS3 DLC install checklist // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & if you don't get a reply after 24 hours of opening a new Forum thread!


avatar
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Training Administrator
General of the Armies/Gatekeeper
G4TW Training Administrator General of the Armies/Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 16714
Points : 22452
Reputation : 2449
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by Tarac on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 16:50

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@Tarac wrote:(...) You want to ignore it ? Ok with me.

Whoo, now I'm really afraid of these North American tech companies, and the people (unknowingly?) advocating on their behalf.

We've got a Carloz.
I can only warn you (and the G4TW users).
I often visit all kind of (obscure) websites offering downloads for the Sims.
After such visits it's not uncommon that my Google search is changed for some stupid other serach engine or that my PC has a lot of trackers.
I'm always glad that Spyhunter restores my original search bar and removes the trackers.

Yes programs like Windows Defender always warns for items like OrangeEmu.dll, RldOrigin.dll and other "cracks". Spyhunter only scans your computer and removes REAL malware and leaves these "warnings" about OrangeEmu etc untouched.
But from my end, this discussion is closed now.
avatar
Tarac
G4TW Guest Contributor
G4TW Guest Contributor

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Card games

Male

Posts : 3329
Points : 5930
Reputation : 566
Join date : 2013-09-14
Age : 75
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile https://forumpages.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 00:47

@Tarac wrote:I often visit all kind of (obscure) websites offering downloads for the Sims. (...)


Are we still talking about malware on G4TW's advertising services (adfly/linkvertise) at the present moment, or about something completely different? Because only the first thing matters.

OK, you had a one-time negative experience, that may or may not have been caused by adfly on G4TW. But we are still not going to abandon the advert-policy because of that. We may do some "modifications", if necessary, but we will not completely abandon the policy.

_________________



Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // All G4TW Downloads // G4TW The Sims 4 Gallery Collection // How YOU can help seeding!

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 Overview // How to install The Sims 3 // TS3 DLC install checklist // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & if you don't get a reply after 24 hours of opening a new Forum thread!


avatar
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Training Administrator
General of the Armies/Gatekeeper
G4TW Training Administrator General of the Armies/Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 16714
Points : 22452
Reputation : 2449
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by Honey Empress on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 04:28

Thanks for the help, Tarac! Since I download a ton of cc/mods for my game and am in various sims communities, I am well aware of adfly. I know TONS of simmers who catch viruses from adfly or other malicious situations (which is why so many simmers are afraid of downloading cc at all). I completely understand why ppl use adfly, especially on a site like this where options are limited, but there are other similar websites out there like shorte.st i believe, which seems less bothersome. I honestly believe that adfly is the worst of the similar options. Adfly is a very dangerous choice, but can be handled well 9/10 when ppl are tech savvy enough to know to wait the 5 secs then ONLY click the button to continue to the link, but many times popups appear that freezes ur page entirely, so u can't click the link at all. I have never had the adfly issue of this latest patch tho, of the adfly link leading to nothingness basically/an error.
avatar
Honey Empress
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 11
Points : 809
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by Honey Empress on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 04:35

Sidenote, the adfly experience is not limited to this site (of it being virus ridden). For cc creators, or anyone else who uses them, the experience is always the same...one of risk.
avatar
Honey Empress
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 11
Points : 809
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by MagicAddie on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 09:20

I'm sorry, but when i download the torrent from this link, it creates an .ios file that I can't open. I'm really confused.

MagicAddie
Beginner
Beginner

Posts : 5
Points : 1110
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2015-11-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by Tarac on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 12:02

@MagicAddie wrote:I'm sorry, but when i download the torrent from this link, it creates an .ios file that I can't open. I'm really confused.
.iso files can be opened:

1. Windows 10 (not sure about wIn 7 and 8 ) : you can open it by rightclicking on the .iso file and select Open with .. and then use Windows Explorer
2. Older versions of Windows: You need an additional (free) program like Poweriso or Daemon.
3. Or rightclick on the .iso and select Open with Winrar
avatar
Tarac
G4TW Guest Contributor
G4TW Guest Contributor

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Card games

Male

Posts : 3329
Points : 5930
Reputation : 566
Join date : 2013-09-14
Age : 75
Location : The Netherlands

View user profile https://forumpages.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the newest patch update link

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 02 Sep 2018, 10:16

@Honey Empress wrote:Thanks for the help, Tarac! Since I download a ton of cc/mods for my game and am in various sims communities, I am well aware of adfly. I know TONS of simmers who catch viruses from adfly or other malicious situations (which is why so many simmers are afraid of downloading cc at all). I completely understand why ppl use adfly, especially on a site like this where options are limited, but there are other similar websites out there like shorte.st i believe, which seems less bothersome. I honestly believe that adfly is the worst of the similar options. Adfly is a very dangerous choice, but can be handled well 9/10 when ppl are tech savvy enough to know to wait the 5 secs then ONLY click the button to continue to the link, but many times popups appear that freezes ur page entirely, so u can't click the link at all. I have never had the adfly issue of this latest patch tho, of the adfly link leading to nothingness basically/an error.


To some extent, what you are describing has less to do with the advertising service chosen, but rather with general computer literacy. Of course people shouldn't click on "you are the millionth visitor, you have won an iPhone now!", or similar messages. Or if popups seem to bother you, try clicking away the browser tabs, rather than clicking the "x" right next to the popups.  

We are nonetheless reducing the adfly now (see this announcement) and using more the link-to-net, which seems more idiot noob-proof.

Carlos is tha man

_________________



Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // All G4TW Downloads // G4TW The Sims 4 Gallery Collection // How YOU can help seeding!

How to install The Sims Medieval // The Sims 2 Overview // How to install The Sims 3 // TS3 DLC install checklist // How to install The Sims 4

Feel free to e-mail me for general questions about G4TW & if you don't get a reply after 24 hours of opening a new Forum thread!


avatar
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Training Administrator
General of the Armies/Gatekeeper
G4TW Training Administrator General of the Armies/Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, COD, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Posts : 16714
Points : 22452
Reputation : 2449
Join date : 2012-11-02
Location : Bellisarius Hall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum