How do I use 4gb ram for The Sims 3? [SOLVED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do I use 4gb ram for The Sims 3? [SOLVED] Empty How do I use 4gb ram for The Sims 3? [SOLVED]

Post by Monica on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 18:14

Hi guys, how do I use more than 2gb ram for The Sims 3? My game version is 1.67 with complete expansion packs. I've read that since 1.17 update, The Sims 3 already supports Large Address Aware (LAA) for 64bit systems but whenever I try to run the game and check on the task manager, it shows that only 1.5gb ram is being used by the game instead of around 3-4gb (I have 16gb of ram). I've also tried to manually patch it using the 4gb patch by ntcore and the LAA patch but it didn't work. I have the game installed on my SSD. The game lags a lot and the rendering is really bad. I've also tried to uninstall/install the game. Can anyone please help me?

I also run the game as admin btw.

Monica
Beginner
Beginner

Favourite games : The Sims

Back to top Go down

How do I use 4gb ram for The Sims 3? [SOLVED] Empty Re: How do I use 4gb ram for The Sims 3? [SOLVED]

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 18:34

@Monica wrote:Hi guys, how do I use more than 2gb ram for The Sims 3? My game version is 1.67 with complete expansion packs. I've read that since 1.17 update, The Sims 3 already supports Large Address Aware (LAA) for 64bit systems but whenever I try to run the game and check on the task manager, it shows that only 1.5gb ram is being used by the game instead of around 3-4gb (I have 16gb of ram). I've also tried to manually patch it using the 4gb patch by ntcore and the LAA patch but it didn't work. I have the game installed on my SSD. The game lags a lot and the rendering is really bad. I've also tried to uninstall/install the game. Can anyone please help me?

Did you apply that 4GB patch, on the TS3W.exe? If so, you did everything right, and there is nothing else to do on that end.

That fact that the task manager shows Sims 3 using only 1.5GB does not have to mean anything. The game is not going to use the 4GB of RAM, permanently. I imagine it's only going to use more hardware resources in a heavily-populated neighborhood with lots of stuff, etc.

Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms
G4TW Forum Gatekeeper Inspector General & Sergeant-At-Arms

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA V / GTA Online.

Male

Back to top Go down

How do I use 4gb ram for The Sims 3? [SOLVED] Empty Re: How do I use 4gb ram for The Sims 3? [SOLVED]

Post by Monica on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 19:09

Yes I applied it on TS3W.exe

Monica
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by Monica on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 19:11

So there's really nothing I can do about the lag? Sad

Monica
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 20:49

@Monica wrote:So there's really nothing I can do about the lag? Sad

Sorry for the belated reply,

Can you be more specific about "it lags a lot"? Does it literally lag all the time for you, or just sometimes, or...? Note that I have an AMD FX-8350 CPU, 16 gigs of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti. Can play for example GTA Online at high settings and consistent 60FPS. But yet I do not feel a difference in The Sims 3, compared to my old machine. The Sims 3 runs well on my end, but given the specs of my PC, not as well as one "might expect". Yes, I get lags from time to time, but the game is still decently playable.

The game is not well optimized, and even with strong computers you're not going to get that great of a performance.

One way you can reduce lag is to try reduce the amount of custom content/mods, if you have any. A more radical approach would be that you even remove (some) store content and also consider uninstalling expansions/stuffpacks that you do not like.

I heard from other players that installing The Sims 3 on an SSD drive also improves performance (I myself only use an old-fashioned HDD). Note that SSD drives with a decent amount of free space are expensive though. But if you like, feel free to do some research, if this is something you would like to do at some point.

It should not directly affect lag, but you might also want to try using this 'fix' here:
https://www.games4theworld.club/t21716-excessive-frame-rendering-in-the-sims-3-updated-on-16-12-2015

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, Call of Duty: Ghosts, GTA: San Andreas, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, The Binding of Isaac, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T. 4, GTA V / GTA Online.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Confucious on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 16:57

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@Monica wrote:Hi guys, how do I use more than 2gb ram for The Sims 3? My game version is 1.67 with complete expansion packs. I've read that since 1.17 update, The Sims 3 already supports Large Address Aware (LAA) for 64bit systems but whenever I try to run the game and check on the task manager, it shows that only 1.5gb ram is being used by the game instead of around 3-4gb (I have 16gb of ram). I've also tried to manually patch it using the 4gb patch by ntcore and the LAA patch but it didn't work. I have the game installed on my SSD. The game lags a lot and the rendering is really bad. I've also tried to uninstall/install the game. Can anyone please help me?

Did you apply that 4GB patch, on the TS3W.exe? If so, you did everything right, and there is nothing else to do on that end.

That fact that the task manager shows Sims 3 using only 1.5GB does not have to mean anything. The game is not going to use the 4GB of RAM, permanently. I imagine it's only going to use more hardware resources in a heavily-populated neighborhood with lots of stuff, etc.

You can also do this VERY EASILY. I have did it many times. Smile

The Sims 3 launched in 2009, and MANY 32/x86 bit systems [which can use only 3Gb of RAM] where active. So they capped the memory at 20000000 Memory Usage (or) 2Gb of RAM.  So you need a 64 bit O/S to do this. Not 32 bit, (or) x86 to use 4Gb RAM=40000000 memory, or more? Also NEVER exceed more than half your RAM, and even if you have 96Gb, or more! Navigate to your first install folder [The Sims 3/Game/Bin]. Open your [Sims3.ini] file] with any text editor. [FIRST: MAKE A COPY OF THE FILE (IN CASE YOU SCREW UP) & SAVE IT SOMEWHERE? LOL] Scroll down to [MemoryUsageLimit] change 20000000 to the amount of RAM you want the game to use with any text editor. When finished save the change, and you are done! Smile You shouldn't exceed 8Gb RAM (aka) 80000000 memory anyways, as it won't matter past [8Gb, or 80000000 MemoryUsageLimit] anyways, and may freak the game out? I always use an even amount of memory. Personal choice. (never tried odd amounts) [examples] 2Gb=20000000 | 4Gb=40000000 | 6Gb=60000000 | 8Gb=80000000
Enjoy more RAM dedicated to your game! Smile

Confucious
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : XP Pro 32 bit, Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit, Win 7 Ulimate 64 bit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Confucious on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 17:05

[I left out this information accidently.] Sorry... you need [edit message back?] lol Razz

My resources NEVER actually show the game drawing all the way to 4Gb even with 8Gb assigned when I check? That does not mean it never actually uses more. Smile

Confucious
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : XP Pro 32 bit, Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit, Win 7 Ulimate 64 bit

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 17:59

@Confucious wrote:[I left out this information accidently.] Sorry... you need [edit message back?] lol Razz

My resources NEVER actually show the game drawing all the way to 4Gb even with 8Gb assigned when I check? That does not mean it never actually uses more. Smile

Yes, we've disabled the ability for regular users to edit/delete messages after submitting them to the Forum. Thanks for the input nonetheless!

I don't know about the 4GB, never really paid much attention to it.  Haters gonna hate  Maybe if you play in a busy neighborhood with lots of houses and sims? One of these days I should try Sim Architect's Blue River or that other one...what was it called? I think Union Cove.

Or even ~Ann~'s Oakwood island.  Carlos is tha man

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Confucious on Sat 17 Nov 2018, 09:17

Yah! Union Cove was awesome! Smile I had the first version, but they released an updated one later. Never tried Blue River or, Oakwood Island by ~Ann~. Are they pretty good? Smile I have no money for Christmas even this year for the famly. Been a very bad year for me...lol Oh my... So I assume post editing is a premium type thing now? How much is it? I'll try help out after winter ends. Will be less in debt then I think.. lol Razz I do not mind helping folks who share their hard work. Even though I rarely get on these days. When I am able to help that is? Smile

Gatekeeper Edit: problem solved, topic closed. Very Happy

- The_gh0stm4n

Confucious
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum