Two separate Documents-folders on same computer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Two separate Documents-folders on same computer? Empty Two separate Documents-folders on same computer?

Post by xerendipity on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 06:38

Hi everyone.  Kind of a strange question, but I am wondering if I can have two different Sims4 installed on my computer.

I play with 35GB of custom content and have it merged and named just right.  I also create and download a lot, so every time I test new files or new downloads, in order to go more quickly, I have to move all my files out and do some other things.  I was wondering if I could install a second game on the same computer and somehow steer it away from the default folder which holds all the game data and mods and point it to another folder of my choosing.  I have another laptop to do this on, but I kind of run into the same thing as I need to transfer files from laptop to laptop.

Anyone?  Smile

//EDIT

Hello.  I guess I should have Googled the topic a little bit more before posting.  Apparently it is practically impossible to do this, since the game insists on using the C:/My Documents folder.  You can move the entire game to another partition as there is a way to move the entire My Docs folder to another partition as well, but then the game would insist on using that ONE, never two.  

Having found this out, I tried to delete my original post, but can't find where/how.  If a mod can, thanks!
xerendipity
xerendipity
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Two separate Documents-folders on same computer? Empty Re: Two separate Documents-folders on same computer?

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 07:43

@xerendipity wrote:Hello.  I guess I should have Googled the topic a little bit more before posting.  Apparently it is practically impossible to do this, since the game insists on using the C:/My Documents folder.  You can move the entire game to another partition as there is a way to move the entire My Docs folder to another partition as well, but then the game would insist on using that ONE, never two.  

I get what you wanted to do, but from a game design perspective, what's the point of allowing any game - not just Sims - to maintain 2 'separate' Documents-folders? I don't see much point in that; if anything that would just lead to more confusion. Surely not what EA want, given the average Sims-player belonging more to the casual-category.

Even if you had 2 separate Documents-folders, the game would only be able to read one of them at the startup, so you'd have to change settings accordingly (each time before startup??).

There are games that use "cloud saving" on external servers, and if the game can't connect, it'll try using locally-stored data as a fallback solution. But even then...it is really intended as a fallback solution. Once connection is re-established, local files are then synchronized with cloud saves.

If it's easier for you of course, just maintain an "informal" TS4 Documents-folder somewhere near the original TS4-Documents location, if you need to move files back-and-forth frequently. Create a folder, name it something like "TS4 mods test", etc.

Edit: topic title slightly clarified.

Yess, aye lieeke!

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // How to install TS3 // TS2 Overview thread

How to install TS Medieval // How to install TS4 // G4TW Sims 4 Gallery Collection!

You can e-mail me for general questions about G4TW, site navigation, and Forum account issues! 

Arrow NO GAME SUPPORT VIA E-MAIL ! 

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Security Administrator
Inspector General & Site Gatekeeper
G4TW Security AdministratorInspector General & Site Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Two separate Documents-folders on same computer? Empty Re: Two separate Documents-folders on same computer?

Post by Tarac on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 11:03

You can have a new The Sims 4 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts when you play the game in another language.
Spanish = Los Sims 4
French = Les Sims 4
German = Die Sims 4
Dutch = De Sims 4
aso

All you have to do to play your current games is to copy the folders Tray, Saves and Mods to the newly created Sims folder.

Tarac
Tarac
SE BUSCA - Vivo o Muerto
$0.01 Recompensa en efectivo
SE BUSCA - Vivo o Muerto $0.01 Recompensa en efectivo

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : Card games

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by anadius on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 11:06

Or you can just switch user. Each user has their own Documents folder so the files won't mix. Smile

Feel free to send me an e-mail if you encounter any problem with my installers/programs.
anadius
anadius
G4TW Forum Developer
Some kind of Einstein
G4TW Forum Developer Some kind of Einstein

Favourite games : puzzle games

View user profile https://ts4installer.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by xerendipity on Tue 29 Jan 2019, 02:24

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:
@xerendipity wrote:Hello.  I guess I should have Googled the topic a little bit more before posting.  Apparently it is practically impossible to do this, since the game insists on using the C:/My Documents folder.  You can move the entire game to another partition as there is a way to move the entire My Docs folder to another partition as well, but then the game would insist on using that ONE, never two.  

I get what you wanted to do, but from a game design perspective, what's the point of allowing any game - not just Sims - to maintain 2 'separate' Documents-folders? I don't see much point in that; if anything that would just lead to more confusion. Surely not what EA want, given the average Sims-player belonging more to the casual-category.

Hi @ The_gh0stm4n !  Perhaps I should have worded the original topic a bit better.  Smile

There are actually several reasons for having two of the same games, and actually too many reasons to go into here.  As I understand it, from looking more into this subject, most people just use two computers.  

With this game in particular, on start-up, the game reads the mods folder each time, and I have found that when you move items in and out of the mods folder, it takes a longer time to read, and ergo, start the game up.  In my case, I play with over 35GB of custom content which has been  painstakingly named individually, merged, then named again, sorted, etc., and placed into my mods folder.  This makes it a heavy start to begin with. Additionally,  some objects, CAS items especially, once removed from the mods folder (even if you do not click on the house the Sim lives in or on the Sim who is wearing it) still drop from the Sim even if placed back in the game at a later point, therefore entailing having to modify the Sim in the CAS screen all over again.  This is all, of course, if you save the game and don't just terminate out of it.  Well, since I create items for the game, I have to start and end the game several times during testing, clean-up, etc., not to mention that I have to save the game in order to then have the game recognize swatches I have clicked on, and save them in order to add custom thumbnails to each .package file.  

SO, I am literally having to:
1. start up my game each time, with 35GB of cc, OR
2. I literally have to move all or some of the cc so that it starts faster, but then have to go clean up the issues that having removed the cc has created.  

As such, for me, the answer would be to have two COMPLETELY separate instances of the game.  One for playing, one for creating and testing.  

Again though, it cannot be done without HEAVILY ALTERING the registry in ways I don't trust myself to do, and then run the risk of the game(s) still wanting to read just ONE instance of the EA Folder, or worse, my laptop not starting at all.  Ermahgerd
xerendipity
xerendipity
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xerendipity on Tue 29 Jan 2019, 02:33

@Tarac 

Thank you, but the Topic Title was changed a little.  The original was Two Sims4 Games on one Computer.  Right now, the game is hard coded to only recognize one version of the Folder.  The languages may be different, but the game would be the same I think, no?   Let me know please!
xerendipity
xerendipity
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xerendipity on Tue 29 Jan 2019, 02:36

@anadius wrote:Or you can just switch user. Each user has their own Documents folder so the files won't mix. Smile

Hmmmm .... Would this work?  Wouldn't the game still be read upon starting up with the same 35GB of cc?  Still though, if it loads without homes or Sims, I could live with that - as long as the original game is left intact.   I tip my fedora.
xerendipity
xerendipity
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarac on Tue 29 Jan 2019, 10:53

@xerendipity wrote:
@anadius wrote:Or you can just switch user. Each user has their own Documents folder so the files won't mix. Smile

Hmmmm .... Would this work?  Wouldn't the game still be read upon starting up with the same 35GB of cc?  Still though, if it loads without homes or Sims, I could live with that - as long as the original game is left intact.   I tip my fedora.
When you create a new account on your computer you automatically create a new folder Documents.
You can still access your installation folder The Sims 4 on both accounts.
Say your main game is under account X and your testing is under account Y. When you start Y the 35 GB of mods would not be available, only the mods you want to try out.
Once these mods are tested and approved OK, you can move these out to your original game into account X

Play/test in a different language will have the same effect but saves you the hassle of loggin in/out your accounts X and Y

Tarac
Tarac
SE BUSCA - Vivo o Muerto

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xerendipity on Wed 30 Jan 2019, 00:27

This sounds almost too easy.  Lol.  Thank you.  Will try that.  I would just need to switch accounts for testing ... which is so much more doable.  Maybe share, or allow access to, one folder with the files to be tested.  Also, once closed out and saved, the files keep the thumbnails in them, so I could work on them from the main account without having to move all my tools.  The part about the game wanting to default to just the one folder is still throwing me, so I'll have to try this out tonight or tomorrow night, but it sounds great.  Thank you all, and will let you know how it goes!
xerendipity
xerendipity
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 30 Jan 2019, 02:50

@xerendipity wrote:

Hi @ The_gh0stm4n !  Perhaps I should have worded the original topic a bit better.  Smile

There are actually several reasons for having two of the same games, and actually too many reasons to go into here.  As I understand it, from looking more into this subject, most people just use two computers.  

With this game in particular, on start-up, the game reads the mods folder each time, and I have found that when you move items in and out of the mods folder, it takes a longer time to read, and ergo, start the game up.  In my case, I play with over 35GB of custom content which has been  painstakingly named individually, merged, then named again, sorted, etc., and placed into my mods folder.  This makes it a heavy start to begin with. Additionally,  some objects, CAS items especially, once removed from the mods folder (even if you do not click on the house the Sim lives in or on the Sim who is wearing it) still drop from the Sim even if placed back in the game at a later point, therefore entailing having to modify the Sim in the CAS screen all over again.  This is all, of course, if you save the game and don't just terminate out of it.  Well, since I create items for the game, I have to start and end the game several times during testing, clean-up, etc., not to mention that I have to save the game in order to then have the game recognize swatches I have clicked on, and save them in order to add custom thumbnails to each .package file.  

SO, I am literally having to:
1. start up my game each time, with 35GB of cc, OR
2. I literally have to move all or some of the cc so that it starts faster, but then have to go clean up the issues that having removed the cc has created.  

As such, for me, the answer would be to have two COMPLETELY separate instances of the game.  One for playing, one for creating and testing.  

See the emphasis in bold red. I suppose besides using alternate Windows accounts or playing in a different language, you could adapt a folder-renaming trick similar to what I described here:
https://www.games4theworld.club/t24433-i-have-both-origin-g4tw-versions-of-sims-4-how-can-i-manage-the-documents-folder

In my opinion that is easier than switching Windows accounts all the time. But if you speak another language than English, then playing two different language versions is even easier than that (= not having to rename folders all the time). 

I also find it concerning that the "cuplrit" here is a pack of ~35GB worth of mods. If it's something you apparently like, then go ahead. But I would not recommend using so many mods, to an average Sims-player. The time it takes to sift through that pack whenever there is a new update would not be worth my time, personally.

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // How to install TS3 // TS2 Overview thread

How to install TS Medieval // How to install TS4 // G4TW Sims 4 Gallery Collection!

You can e-mail me for general questions about G4TW, site navigation, and Forum account issues! 

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tarac on Wed 30 Jan 2019, 10:40

When you are a frequent Sims player and are familiar with the pop-up-screens, it's not so difficult to play in another language. After watching some Swedish series on Netflix, my wife decided to play the game in Swedish (no knowledge of that language at all) and she is succesfully playing it now for over a month.

Tarac
Tarac
SE BUSCA - Vivo o Muerto

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Wed 30 Jan 2019, 15:21

@Tarac wrote:When you are a frequent Sims player and are familiar with the pop-up-screens, it's not so difficult to play in another language. After watching some Swedish series on Netflix, my wife decided to play the game in Swedish (no knowledge of that language at all) and she is succesfully playing it now for over a month.

Nice little anecdote @Tarac, and you're basically right. But whether the average G4TW user is going to be able to navigate through menus in a "foreign language", that is another question. The basic position of buttons and functions is indeed all the same across all 17 language versions.

But I doubt that the average Forum visitor here is able or willing to memorize that kind of information.

Remember when we announced the Get Famous DLC, and I put the download links under a spoiler named "I have read and fully understood the above information - click here"? And how many users here were sheer unable to find out that you had to CLICK on the damn spoiler to unfold the download links? Even if everything is kept super-simple, still so many people have difficulties with that. Especially if something new and unfamiliar is introduced the first time, like the aforementioned spoiler.

Granted, we'll also have to take into account that The Sims-series by its nature is aimed at the nonchalant "casual player", who may be little accustomed to certain rigors, as is the case in other games. Maybe I just have unrealistic expectations from users here in the end.

(and that is an anecdote from me).

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xerendipity on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 06:52

@The_gh0stm4n @Tarac @anadius

Hi all, and thank you again.

I created a new user account and it (partly/technically) works like a charm!  My new game starts up instantly and once I clear all the lots, it'll feel so much better.  Weeee!  Lol.  The folder it uses was completely clean of mods and tray files at start-up, and now contains some tester files which are easy to open and work with.  Fantastic ... so far, and this may work for other people looking for something in the way I was.  

... MY problem however is that pretty much detest Windows 10 with every fiber of my being.  It took me forever on my main account, to disable programs, apps, move things around, turn off certain notifications, automatic updates, etc. and make it un-bloated enough to run how I like it to run.  On the new account, it is ALL BACK and driving me crazy again.  Edge and Bing can go take a hike, in my opinion, and I can't even open Settings for some reason to default anything to where I want it.  Not a big thing for some; huge for me.   Very Happy  Sooooo, I think I am going to try Gh0stman's renaming, or the different language thing.  I am fluent in both Spanish and Portuguese, so it SHOULD be cake *crosses fingers*.  Will let you know how it turns out just in case you're interested in knowing.   sunny

@The_gh0stm4n  Personally, I play with so much cc because I LOVE the variety in decor.  Each house is like a new template where you literally have a a gazillion choices of how to put everything together.  Much as with shoes, you can never have ENOUGH cc.   Smile

Two separate Documents-folders on same computer? VGq9hIX

Two separate Documents-folders on same computer? D1eP3oY

Two separate Documents-folders on same computer? Feklzrb
xerendipity
xerendipity
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down