Quick Forum update! Spellcasters, Western propaganda, Antivirus software, Deep-Packet-Inspection, & more !!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Quick Forum update! Spellcasters, Western propaganda, Antivirus software, Deep-Packet-Inspection, & more !! Empty Quick Forum update! Spellcasters, Western propaganda, Antivirus software, Deep-Packet-Inspection, & more !!

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Tue 03 Sep 2019, 19:31

Ah, autumn! When school starts again, summer is slowly coming to an end, and more things I guess. With a new Magic-focussed DLC for The Sims 4 set to be released on September 10th 2019 (so a week after this announcement goes online), here's your next update regarding the Forum:

1) Updates to certain announcements

The Re-Seed Request Rules, the information on adverts, as well as the Forum FAQ have been updated slightly. Basically topics on the re-seed rules section will be removed after a week of opening, for a cleaner look. 

As for the adverts-information, the last section now includes a notice about reporting "inappropriate" adverts and a disclaimer regarding external platforms of people that we "endorse". Other minor clarifications were also built in, but beyond that the basic procedure is still the same.

We've also removed some obsolete questions/answers from the Forum FAQ, and added instructions on how to report inappropriate adverts. 

Most of you will already be familiar with the basic outline of these announcements, but do check out the new updates when you get to it.

2) The Sims 4 - Realm of Magic

A new The Sims 4 Gamepack is set to be released for the PC/Mac platforms on September 10th 2019, and for consoles on September 15th. It is said to focus on everything "magic", including cauldrons, broomsticks, new supernatural life states, and little familiars that can accompany a sim.

As usual, there will also be a repack here as soon as possible. Please note that there will be some 'delay' - as always - before a G4TW release. I also have other responsibilities to deal with, plus we playtest the functionality of new updates a bit, and we have to organize direct downloads and seedboxes too. No specific ETA though - as always.

Something else I found uncanny: there is said to be a life state named "spellcaster". Is that a politically correct term for what is also known as "witches"? Or am I making this too political? scratch

2) "If no ads are being used at all, EA won't target you as harshly!!111", or: exposing gullibility to Western (corporate) propaganda

I recently got an interesting e-mail, the gist of it basically said:

Anonymous commenter wrote:If no ads are being used, then I don't think EA will target pirate sites anymore!

Of course, of course. We all like to believe in the good, in other people. Whether it is about seemingly more and more frequent acts of violence (terrorism, mass shootings, etc.), effects of climate change (soaring heat, more natural disasters, etc.) and economic uncertainties: we still strive and try to make sense of chaos. To rationalize...the seemingly irrational. 

The e-mail did not specifically criticize the ad policy on G4TW, but I will assume it was intended as some sort of "hint" still.

It's an attractive concept: if pirate sites do not generate ad revenue, there will be no reason for corporations to target them. Similar to the concept that some pirate sites put up contact forms to allow DMCA takedown-requests (so that people can report copyright-protected material uploaded to the sites).

We all know what happened to the old version of KAT (Kickass Torrents). They also allowed DMCA takedown requests. Maybe they thought it would shield them from consequences. Maybe they wanted to give themselves a positive spin, so as to portray piracy in a better light, in general. Either way, in the world of corporations, you either make profit, or you don't. There is nothing in-between. There is no "acceptable version of piracy". Therefore it doesn't matter if ads are used, or not.

Lines of thinking such as in that e-mail only show how far certain people have inhaled Western corporate propaganda. And if we want to be strict: by acknowledging that there "could be" a problem under certain circumstances when dealing with the upload of pirated items, you are already doubting yourself about your activities. In other words: you are (unconsciously?) criticizing yourself regarding piracy.

3) Spain, Italy, Norway, Sweden...technically sophisticated adversaries in the "fight against piracy"?

Do we have people from these countries here? A relatively recent article on Torrentfreak dealt with ISPs from several countries blocking P2P-traffic (torrenting) altogether, using techniques such as Deep-Packet-Inspection. Now I am not sure how widespread DPI is in North America or Europe in general, but that it basically the same technique that China is using for their "Great Firewall" to control/limit access to the world wide web. That technique is also part of the reason why it's rather difficult to use VPNs in combination with Chinese Internet Providers: using a VPN won't necessarily grant you access to what the Chinese government considers the "forbidden internet".

And either way, it's 'good' to see that more and more "Liberal Western Democracies (TM)" are now resorting to technically sophisticated measures to curb down piracy. 

If you happen to be a victim of this, I suppose you could always try changing/port-forwarding different ports in your router or modem. If that alone does not do the trick,... you'll have to consider that using a good VPN might not necessarily work out either. 

OK, I admit this passage here is or could be seen as a bit of fear-mongering. The article on Torrentfreak does hint that the Internet Providers tested were about mobile internet connections. And we know that these mobile plans are limited in terms of data and general capacity, compared to your good old stationary home internet. And it is within the right of the Internet provider to curb down certain types of traffic if it turns out to be a burden on the ISP's capacity.

Nonetheless: a sign of things to come, in the future?

4) Antivirus software

Anybody still using these? For my part, I always liked comments such as:

Possibly gullible commenter wrote:My antivirus flags your site as malicious! I don't care what you all say!11 How dare you mislead innocent people!!111111 [insert more rambling here]

Sarcasm aside: everybody needs some sort of hero or heroine, to give them some kind of direction or focal point. For some people that can be (older) friends or relatives. Others idolize [insert whatever celebrity here]. Some people also seek advice from religious literature or groups. Then again, a few people unfortunately also resort to substance or alcohol abuse.

And yes, some people also rely on mainstream antivirus software to help them shield against real or perceived threats from the internet. 

Antivirus software frequently flags harmless items, such as DRM-free/cracked stuff. The software also flags the websites themselves. If you are reading this and you're new, you probably came here to grab some (Sims) games for free. Maybe relatives or friends told you about this place, or whatever. But upon visiting, your antivirus might have "triggered".

You see, I am not going to beg anybody to stay on here. I am not going to "prove" anything, to anybody. Those torrent releases stand-as-they-are. If people choose to believe their antivirus software more, then that's cool. But then they can't expect to download any pirated item, without these antivirus-warnings.

I am not objecting that some people trust that kind of software. But I am objecting to this aggressive and hysterical tone - usually coming from male-gendered n00bs. And: please do show a modicum of critical thinking, by at least taking into account the possibility that tech companies might have ulterior motives, when flagging pirate sites & content as malicious, even when they are totally harmless.

5) Other platforms on which you can find G4TW's downloads

It is stated on ~Ann~'s announcement about the adverts used here, but I'll say it again: you are more than welcome to use the resources that are located on the abadoned website, as well as on The Piratebay. The items on these platforms are provided ad-free (a.k.a. no Linkvertise). 

Happy B-day! 

I recommend non-Sims games such as Chessmaster XI, Plants vs. Zombies GOTY, Portal 2, Zoo Tycoon 2 & The Saboteur (the latter doesn't seem to have regularly active seeds though, unfortunately, but we'll try and remedy that). I also recommend the Indie Games released so far, which you can also grab ad-free, from the announcements posted here, see the end of this download list. Very Happy

That should do again for the moment! As always feel free to comment below if you want to.

Last edited by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 08 Sep 2019, 19:56; edited 1 time in total

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // Contact Us

Choose your "Destiny" (wisely) !!

Quick Forum update! Spellcasters, Western propaganda, Antivirus software, Deep-Packet-Inspection, & more !! JIghVzn
  Quick Forum update! Spellcasters, Western propaganda, Antivirus software, Deep-Packet-Inspection, & more !! 524tQLc  Quick Forum update! Spellcasters, Western propaganda, Antivirus software, Deep-Packet-Inspection, & more !! HC9Xf8h
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Platform Gatekeeper
Inspector General & Watch Commander
G4TW Platform GatekeeperInspector General & Watch Commander

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Back to top Go down

Quick Forum update! Spellcasters, Western propaganda, Antivirus software, Deep-Packet-Inspection, & more !! Empty Re: Quick Forum update! Spellcasters, Western propaganda, Antivirus software, Deep-Packet-Inspection, & more !!

Post by Freezer Bunny on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 16:39

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:I recently got an interesting e-mail, the gist of it basically said:

Anonymous commenter wrote:If no ads are being used, then I don't think EA will target pirate sites anymore!

Why do people keep posting these 'suggestions' about ads only through e-mail, but not over the Forums? Very Happy

Freezer Bunny
Freezer Bunny
The real one.
The real one.

Favourite games : The Sims games

Female

Back to top Go down

Quick Forum update! Spellcasters, Western propaganda, Antivirus software, Deep-Packet-Inspection, & more !! Empty Re: Quick Forum update! Spellcasters, Western propaganda, Antivirus software, Deep-Packet-Inspection, & more !!

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 18:13

@Freezer Bunny wrote:Why do people keep posting these 'suggestions' about ads only through e-mail, but not over the Forums? Very Happy

Doesn't matter, if civility is kept. If people prefer a more 'private' communications channel, then by all means. Also, not everybody may want to create an account on here to just post one or two things; so in that sense having that Contact form is a nice thing.

Forum Rules // Forum FAQ // How YOU can help seeding // VPN discussion thread // Contact Us

Quick Forum update! Spellcasters, Western propaganda, Antivirus software, Deep-Packet-Inspection, & more !! JIghVzn
  Quick Forum update! Spellcasters, Western propaganda, Antivirus software, Deep-Packet-Inspection, & more !! 524tQLc  Quick Forum update! Spellcasters, Western propaganda, Antivirus software, Deep-Packet-Inspection, & more !! HC9Xf8h
The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Platform Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 3, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Red Faction, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, PvZ: Garden Warfare, GTA: San Andreas, GTA V / GTA Online, Counter-Strike, Hitman, Borderlands, Fallout, Call of Duty, Battlefield, The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †, Government simulation & Military strategy games, S.W.A.T 4.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane on Fri 06 Sep 2019, 01:59

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:2) The Sims 4 - Realm of Magic

A new The Sims 4 Gamepack is set to be released for the PC/Mac platforms on September 10th 2019, and for consoles on September 15th. It is said to focus on everything "magic", including cauldrons, broomsticks, new supernatural life states, and little familiars that can accompany a sim.

As usual, there will also be a repack here as soon as possible. Please note that there will be some 'delay' - as always - before a G4TW release. I also have other responsibilities to deal with, plus we playtest the functionality of new updates a bit, and we have to organize direct downloads and seedboxes too. No specific ETA though - as always.

Something else I found uncanny: there is said to be a life state named "spellcaster". Is that a politically correct term for what is also known as "witches"? Or am I making this too political? scratch

Is it safe to assume that G4TW repack will a two for the price of one with today's patch? (It might be obvious, but it doesn't hurt to ask anyway...) 

Well, I don't know in other countries, but in France, witches were chased down and burnt alive, even when they were not (hello, Jeanne d'Arc). So 'spellcaster' might be more... Qualitative ? Honorable? I don't know haha.
Shane
Shane
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 4

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Fri 06 Sep 2019, 03:40

@Shane wrote:Is it safe to assume that G4TW repack will a two for the price of one with today's patch? (It might be obvious, but it doesn't hurt to ask anyway...) 

Well, I don't know in other countries, but in France, witches were chased down and burnt alive, even when they were not (hello, Jeanne d'Arc). So 'spellcaster' might be more... Qualitative ? Honorable? I don't know haha.

Yes, yes. Those Sims 4 DLC releases from G4TW - and pretty much every other mainstream repacker - are always in the form of patch + DLC. I don't think we ever did anything different either. Not to my recollection anyways.

And you're raising a good point about those witch hunts, @Shane! I do recall though that in The Sims 3 it was called "witches", and male-gendered sims were called the same, so yes. Upon further research (English is not my first language), "spellcaster" also seems to be a more gender-neutral label, and more in conformity with modern trends and conventions.

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Platform Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane on Fri 06 Sep 2019, 09:56

Thanks! 
Oh, well obviously it's not my first language either so I understand. Fair point, though looking for words gender-neutral enough all the time... Oh well whatever it takes to achieve that impossible task of pleasing everyone!
Shane
Shane
Posting Nerd
Posting Nerd

Windows version :
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 64 bits (x64)

Favourite games : The Sims 4

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by koi19 on Sun 08 Sep 2019, 04:37

Hey, I'm not sure where to post for help, mostly with the magnets I think. Someone lmk please

koi19
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Sun 08 Sep 2019, 12:02

@koi19 wrote:Hey, I'm not sure where to post for help, mostly with the magnets I think. Someone lmk please

Hello,

This Forum here is suitable I guess:
https://www.games4theworld.club/f6-site-navigation-suggestions

But I'll assume you wanted to ask about the adverts that we use on this Forum, in which case please read up on this here:
https://www.games4theworld.club/t33873-the-advertisements-on-the-forum-updated-on-02-09-20

Note: if you want to "mix it up", you can also grab the older G4TW stuff from either The PirateBay or that old "games4theworld.org" website.

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Platform Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Freezer Bunny on Mon 09 Sep 2019, 19:20

@The_gh0stm4n wrote:Note: if you want to "mix it up", you can also grab the older G4TW stuff from either The PirateBay or that old "games4theworld.org" website.

I'd like to suggest we use The PirateBay again! Very Happy

Freezer Bunny
Freezer Bunny
The real one.
The real one.

Favourite games : The Sims games

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The_gh0stm4n on Tue 10 Sep 2019, 00:25

@Freezer Bunny wrote:I'd like to suggest we use The PirateBay again! Very Happy

That's a negative - at least for now.  Haters gonna hate  Btw, I do not control the access to The PirateBay; Admin ~Ann~ does.

Alright people, that's it for that brief introduction/pre-DLC announcement from me! Make sure to prepare yourselves by installing all G4TW updates up to and including Moschino Stuff.

More information will follow; topic is closed.

The_gh0stm4n
The_gh0stm4n
G4TW Platform Gatekeeper

Windows version :
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Windows 10

System architecture :
  • 32 bits (x86)
  • 64 bits (x64)

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum